Keyboard escape seq.

Post by Lorris Wood » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I;m new to this group and don't where to find the FAQ. I'm looking for the
keyboard mapping for for getting to the boot prompt to a solaris 2.6
machine from a non-solaris keyboard via telnet from a virtual console
using VT-100 emulations. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Lorris

Keyboard escape seq.

Post by larr » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I;m new to this group and don't where to find the FAQ. I'm looking for the
> keyboard mapping for for getting to the boot prompt to a solaris 2.6
> machine from a non-solaris keyboard via telnet from a virtual console
> using VT-100 emulations. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

> Lorris

If you really mean "telnet", you can't do it.  Running telnet would
imply
that the the boot prom has all the code needed to keep the network
up not to mention the security issues.  You can force the system to
the boot prom from a telnet session with the halt(1m) command but
you will not get the boot prom on your terminal.

--
  -larry

   "Great spirits have always encountered * opposition
          from mediocre minds."   Albert Einstein.

Keyboard escape seq.

Post by Arindum Mukerj » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

By "boot prompt", I'm assuming you mean the PROM boot prompt.

send it a break. Since it's via telnet, you'd do it like this from most
*nix-ish telnet clients

^] (or whatever the escape sequence the telnet client says it's using at
connect time)

telnet> send brk

Arindum

> I;m new to this group and don't where to find the FAQ. I'm looking for the
> keyboard mapping for for getting to the boot prompt to a solaris 2.6
> machine from a non-solaris keyboard via telnet from a virtual console
> using VT-100 emulations. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

> Lorris

Keyboard escape seq.

Post by Dan Stromber » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> > I;m new to this group and don't where to find the FAQ. I'm looking for the
> > keyboard mapping for for getting to the boot prompt to a solaris 2.6
> > machine from a non-solaris keyboard via telnet from a virtual console
> > using VT-100 emulations. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

> > Lorris

> If you really mean "telnet", you can't do it.  Running telnet would
> imply
> that the the boot prom has all the code needed to keep the network
> up not to mention the security issues.  You can force the system to
> the boot prom from a telnet session with the halt(1m) command but
> you will not get the boot prom on your terminal.

If you're willing to set up some extra hardware, you could configure a
"console server".  This allows you to telnet to your dedicated "console
server" (whose boot prompt you cannot see), but from there you can use
the "console" program to see the boot prompt of other machines that are
connected to the console server via a (sometimes slightly unusual)
serial cable.

We really like them.  It allows us to do stuff on the console from home,
or from our office, without running down to the machine room, or across
campus.

We use ssh and stel instead of telnet, but it's the same idea.

If you're interested, search for "conserver" in the archives.  If you
have trouble finding one that's been ported to solaris, drop me a note,
and I'll mail you ours.  We did have to tweak something to get the break
sequence to work properly.