changing nis+ root master server name

Post by Ron Stanon » Sat, 08 May 1993 05:23:28

We want to change the name of an nis+ root master server.
Since nis+ scatters the name throughout several nis+ tables,
it doesn't seem to be simply a matter of changing hostname.le0,
hosts, and renaming the /var/nis/<hostname> directory.

Rather than start over and reload all of the information,
we're wondering about turning a client into a root replica,
making the server a client (with the new name) of the replica,
then making the former server a server again by making it a
replica of the replica.

Is a root replica equivalent to a master?  In yp days, a slave
wasn't equivalent; changes had to be made on the master and were
propagated to the slaves.  Is that still the case with nis+?

Ron Stanonik

ucsd!nprdc!stanonik

1. Changing IP-adrress om NIS+ root master server

My problem is that I have to change IP adress om a NIS+ root master
sever and all it's clients. (There is no replica server), anyone ever
done this?

The first idea was to first set upp a new machine with a new
IP-address make it a replica server, then promote it to root master
and dump the old one. And when the new NIS+ server is upp and running
start changing the IP-address of the client machines. (Local and in
the NIS+ tables)
But it seems like when I promote the root replica I have to make
something on each of the client machines.

regards,
Christoffer

2. Lan with windows xp and LInux

3. how to change root password on NIS+ master server

4. DLink wireless kit

5. How to change IP address/hostname of NIS+ root master server?

6. Information needed

7. NIS+ Change Root Master Server: How to pointers.

8. Best supported 2d/3d Vid Card for RH 7.1?

9. changing NIS+ root master root password

10. NIS (YP) Master name change...

11. Changing the root master's credential (NIS+)

12. Changing IP address of NIS+ Root Master.

13. How to change NIS+ root master IP address?