Can not probe external CDROM

Post by bbzh.. » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

My disk on Sparc 5 just crashed. So I put in a new disk, hookup an
external cdrom drive (It is working on another Sparc 5 machine). When I
did a boot cdrom to install Solaris 2.6, it says "Can't open device". I
then did probe-scsi and probe-scsi-all on OK prompt, it displayed the
target for the disk (0) and some description of the disk, but for the
cdrom, it only displayed "Target 5", nothing about the cdrom itself. It
seems to me the internal scsi bus failed, but if it failed why it can
still probe the disk.

Thanks

Alan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Can not probe external CDROM

Post by Avi Levi » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

If it were the internal bus, you'd likely see errors on target 0 as well.
Check/reseat your cable and terminator.  You may have a bent pin or some
such thing.

---Avi---

> My disk on Sparc 5 just crashed. So I put in a new disk, hookup an
> external cdrom drive (It is working on another Sparc 5 machine). When I
> did a boot cdrom to install Solaris 2.6, it says "Can't open device". I
> then did probe-scsi and probe-scsi-all on OK prompt, it displayed the
> target for the disk (0) and some description of the disk, but for the
> cdrom, it only displayed "Target 5", nothing about the cdrom itself. It
> seems to me the internal scsi bus failed, but if it failed why it can
> still probe the disk.

> Thanks

> Alan

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Can not probe external CDROM

Post by bbzh.. » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I just hookup the CDROM to another machine and it worked. I checked the
female scsi port on the first machine and did not see anything
abnormal.

Sigh....

Bing

> If it were the internal bus, you'd likely see errors on target 0 as
well.
> Check/reseat your cable and terminator.  You may have a bent pin or
some
> such thing.

> ---Avi---

Quote:> > My disk on Sparc 5 just crashed. So I put in a new disk, hookup an
> > external cdrom drive (It is working on another Sparc 5 machine).
When I
> > did a boot cdrom to install Solaris 2.6, it says "Can't open
device". I
> > then did probe-scsi and probe-scsi-all on OK prompt, it displayed
the
> > target for the disk (0) and some description of the disk, but for
the
> > cdrom, it only displayed "Target 5", nothing about the cdrom
itself. It
> > seems to me the internal scsi bus failed, but if it failed why it
can
> > still probe the disk.

> > Thanks

> > Alan

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. sio0 not probed in recompiled Generic kernel - need external modem support on com1 port

I removed all the devices I did not need and recompiled the kernel. The new
kernel boots up but issues message 'sio0 not probed (Disabled)'. I need sio0
for a external modem so I started to test different kernels.

I then booted using the kernel.GENERIC that comes with FBSD and the sio
ports are probed ok.

I them recompiled  /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC original source creating a new
generic kernel that should match the kernel.GENERIC. This new kernel also
issues message 'sio0 not probed (Disabled)'.

How can this be? Is not the kernel.GENERIC built from the GENERIC source?
That's what the handbook says.

The only change to the basic FBSD 4.4 install is I added boot_verbose="YES"
statement to the loader.conf file so I would always get the verbose
(detailed) boot messaged.

This should be very easy for one of you FBSD experts to reproduce. Is there
a bug in the make process for FBDS4.4, or is there wrong source definitions
in the GENERIC source file?

2. XFree86 3.3.2: man: NLSPATH

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. ssh behind proxy

5. FAQ: comp.lang.awk: pointer

6. External CDROM not recognized when booting

7. SUID shell script fails with rsh

8. can ping firewall external interface but not external network

9. Hiding resources from external probes

10. scsi probe problems, 7 CDROM detected when there is one

11. end cdrom probing?

12. Help: cdrom auto-probe hangs!!