Ignoring specific boot messages / boot message redirection??

Ignoring specific boot messages / boot message redirection??

Post by Dami » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 12:14:21

Hi everyone,

I have written a program that I call from a shell script which is
placed in /etc/rc2.d . This script calls another script which loads a
driver using the add_drv command. This is on Solaris 8.

Thing is, the driver is evaluation only - that's ok I am using it for
a really really basic function - it's just it prints a "please
register/purchase me" to the screen at boot:

"drvr: [ID 513294 kern.notice] Driver: This is an unregistered copy.
The driver will work for the next 60 minutes. To register please
contact..."

I thought in the calling script, I could just redirect output to
/dev/null yet this doesn't work. What is the driver writing to on
load? Is it the standard output? Is there a way to just
ignore/redirect this message so that at boot it is not displayed?

Can I do it by mucking around with syslog.conf? Although I would still
like to log kern.notice messages...

Any help in this matter will be appreciated...

Damien.

Post by Greg Andre » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 13:39:58

>I thought in the calling script, I could just redirect output to
>/dev/null yet this doesn't work.

Did you redirect standard error?

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

Post by Jimm » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 21:31:14

> >I thought in the calling script, I could just redirect output to
> >/dev/null yet this doesn't work.

> Did you redirect standard error?

Redirection won't help because the message is coming from the driver in
kernel-space (probably via cmn_err) and therefore isn't being output
through any userland file descriptor.

The OP can edit syslog.conf to redirect kern.notice messages elsewhere.

-Jimmo

1. Logging boot messages(and crash messages)

Hi..

Is there any way to get Solaris2.1 or 2.2 for that matter
to log the boot messages like SunOS 4.x.x?

Is there any way to get Solaris2.1 or 2.2 to display the
boot messages during the boot(ie the devices found etc)?

In 2.2 we at least get messages of the following form when the machine is
booted.

Jun  7 10:40:53 hostname unix: SunOS Release 5.2 Version Generic [UNIX(R) System V Release 4.0]
Jun  7 10:40:53 hostname unix: Copyright (c) 1983-1993, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

In 2.1 we do not even get these.

We are also not getting any of the crash messages.... in the log file
either.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks.
--

Electrical and Computer Engineering     - uunet!uceng!rmontjoy

--  To Save the Earth. The Humans must die.

2. Microsaft cabarc.exe

3. how to detect for specific error message in /var/adm/messages

4. D-Link DFE-650 TXD Device Timeout

5. Boot issues (will Windows 95 boot from the 2nd drive withBootEasy???; strange error message with wd0)

6. Cable Online ISP connection

7. Linux won't boot past "INIT version 2.62 boot" message at bootup

8. how to avoid my windows habit

9. How to captures all boot messages from kernel and daemons from cold boot?

10. Boot failed message with RED Hat boot disk !

11. What is the meaning of this boot-time message?

12. boot message errors

13. View booting messages after login...