dvd+rw on Solaris with prodvd

Post by Ken Mandelbe » Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:56:03

I just got an Iomega Super DVD drive, that supports all formats
(DVD+/-RW , DVD-RAM). It all seems to work except for using the
DVD+RW as a random access disk.

I formatted it as per instructions with cdrecord-prodvd and the
format succeeded. However, newfs fails at block 16. If I just try
dd'ing to it I get success on the writes, but dd'ing back from it
just gets me 0's no matter what I put on it.

Am I missing something?

--

Emory University    |
Dept of Math and CS | Phone: Voice (404) 727-7963

Post by Beard » Sun, 19 Oct 2003 06:06:44

> I just got an Iomega Super DVD drive, that supports all formats
> (DVD+/-RW , DVD-RAM). It all seems to work except for using the
> DVD+RW as a random access disk.

> I formatted it as per instructions with cdrecord-prodvd and the
> format succeeded. However, newfs fails at block 16. If I just try
> dd'ing to it I get success on the writes, but dd'ing back from it
> just gets me 0's no matter what I put on it.

> Am I missing something?

I may be being stoopid, but I don't think you can use a CDRW/DVDRW in
this manner. You can write ISO images to them (Solaris cdrw), and you
can write HSFS filesystems to them (mkisofs | cdrw), but newfs'ing them
sounds like an intrinsic loser to me. The read/write method on CD/DVD is
single or optionally multi-track based, but sequentially within the
track. So no updating superblocks. So no random access.

I could be talking gibberish though ;^)

Post by Ken Mandelbe » Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:59:38

>I may be being stoopid, but I don't think you can use a CDRW/DVDRW in
>this manner.

Check out the DVD+RW section in

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/README

It is supposed to be useable as a random access disk, similarly to
DVD-RAM after the format. I just don't know why I can't.

--

Post by Joerg Schilli » Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:08:08

>I just got an Iomega Super DVD drive, that supports all formats
>(DVD+/-RW , DVD-RAM). It all seems to work except for using the
>DVD+RW as a random access disk.

>I formatted it as per instructions with cdrecord-prodvd and the
>format succeeded. However, newfs fails at block 16. If I just try
>dd'ing to it I get success on the writes, but dd'ing back from it
>just gets me 0's no matter what I put on it.

>Am I missing something?

DVD+ is not a standard and even though the SCSI commands used to
interact with DVD+ drives are part of the SCSI MMC-3 standard,
drives not made by Ricoh do not follow the standard.

May be this is caused by the fact that royalties to Philips/Ricoh
have been so hig in former times that is did not create a win to
make an own drive and pyt to Ricoh instead of buying the drive from Ricoh and
sell it under your name. Not that Ricoh is more than one year behind
the technical leaders, new drives made by vaious manufacturers appeared and
these drives all do not correctly implement fast formatting a media.

Unfortunataly DVD+ usability is very limited (only one mode of opration),
This only mode of operatin requires to format a maiden medium.

The only way you currently can go is to use cdrecord to write as much ad data
as possible with -force and then the complete capacity will show up.

I am sorry, but the fact that Linux is full of kernel bugs and the list
of bugs is extended each day, working on cdrecord is frustrating. Linux kernel
hackers are even unwilling to listen to people who give them precise bug
descriptions. DVD Drives firmware (since DVD has become a real market) is full
of bugs. There is no clean description how a drive should behave. I need to
spend a lot of time to "play" with the drives in order to find out how
shomething that does not work as ducumented works in reallity. This is
fristrating in a similar way than what the Linux Kernel hackers do against me.

For this reason, I did take a break with cdrecord starting about 4 months ago.

You might have noticed that I did work on 'star' during this time.
I am now close before a first version of star that fully support true incremental
backups (in a similar way than ufsdump/ufsrestore). Incremental backups
already work for many weeks and I expect a first incremental restore in about
10 days. If this has been done, I most likely will start working again on
cdrecord.

--

dvd+rw on Solaris with prodvd

Post by Michael Laajane » Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:12:33

HI,

> The only way you currently can go is to use cdrecord to write as much ad data
> as possible with -force and then the complete capacity will show up.

> I am sorry, but the fact that Linux is full of kernel bugs and the list
> of bugs is extended each day, working on cdrecord is frustrating. Linux kernel
> hackers are even unwilling to listen to people who give them precise bug
> descriptions. DVD Drives firmware (since DVD has become a real market) is full
> of bugs. There is no clean description how a drive should behave. I need to
> spend a lot of time to "play" with the drives in order to find out how
> shomething that does not work as ducumented works in reallity. This is
> fristrating in a similar way than what the Linux Kernel hackers do against me.

IS this problem with bugs in the kernel also apply to Solaris-9/Sparc?

Quote:> For this reason, I did take a break with cdrecord starting about 4 months ago.

Sorry to hear that, but I understand how you feel I have also been
working with lousy spec's and it is a pain, you don't know if you are
the one fu* things up or it's a bug.

But after a while, you get confidence ( right ? :) ) and you know it's a
bug :))

I have still not purchased a DVD-writer, most due to lack of use but I
am getting then sooner or later,  A question on newpaper I just read put
Plextor Plexwriter PX -708A as the number one on top fo Pioneer 106.

Is Plextor the best?

Maybe it is best to wait for star to be completed and then see, I think
I can survive without a DVD writer for a few months more :))

/michael

Post by Paul Gres » Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:54:46

>> I just got an Iomega Super DVD drive, that supports all formats
>> (DVD+/-RW , DVD-RAM). It all seems to work except for using the
>> DVD+RW as a random access disk.
>> I formatted it as per instructions with cdrecord-prodvd and the
>> format succeeded. However, newfs fails at block 16. If I just try
>> dd'ing to it I get success on the writes, but dd'ing back from it
>> just gets me 0's no matter what I put on it.

>> Am I missing something?

> I may be being stoopid, but I don't think you can use a CDRW/DVDRW in
> this manner. You can write ISO images to them (Solaris cdrw), and you
> can write HSFS filesystems to them (mkisofs | cdrw), but newfs'ing them
> sounds like an intrinsic loser to me. The read/write method on CD/DVD is
> single or optionally multi-track based, but sequentially within the
> track. So no updating superblocks. So no random access.

> I could be talking gibberish though ;^)

I haven't tried the +RW yet, but with the DVD Ram, I was able to put a
UFS on it, now it works like a giant floppy.  I can drag and drop files
to and from it, delete files, etc.  When I'm done, umount it and bring
it to a new location.  I haven't yet tried to boot off of it yet but it
sounds possible.

Paul

1. Cdrecord-ProDVD now supports DVD+RW & DVD+R

For all who are interested in testing new software that may still have
problems, I am proud to announce that cdrecord-ProDVD started to include
Support for DVD+RW and DVD+R media. It currently has only been tested in
Ricoh based drives, so I don't know if it will work for e.g. the Sony DRU-500A
and the NEC-1100.

Please note that neither DVD+RW nor DVD+R Media support simulation writes
(what you get with cdrecord -dummy).

If you like to test, get a cdrecord-prodvd-2.01a11 binary from

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/

Please don't forget to read the README in the same directory.

As DVD+RW works similar to a DVD-RAM, you may use it with the kernel level
UDF filesystem support in Solaris.

Usage in this case:

1) Call cdrecord dev=b,t,l -format -v

2) Create a new filesystem on the device (call mkfs_udfs)

3) Mount the device and write to it

4) Unmount the device

5) Call cdrecord dev=b,t,l -fix -v

6) Remove the media or mount it read-only

Note that I did not yet test this case as I am currently running
a Solaris 9 version that does not like Ricoh based DVD drives because
of their ATA standard deviations.

--

2. Upgrading XF86_3.1.1 - XF86_3.1.2 ???

3. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

4. GCC code speed

5. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

6. How vendor specific drivers communicate

7. Sony DVD-RW/CD-RW drive problems

8. X on Trident 9750 and LG 55Si

9. CD-RW or DVD(+-)RW?

10. DVD-RW/CD-ROM-RW