boot-command ignored?

Post by shea marti » Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:00:44

On my ultra 10, I just did a eeprom boot-command='boot -r', then reboot.  As the
system comes up, I see 'Rebooting with command: boot'.  I did a stop-a.
printenv showed that boot-command was indeed set to boot -r.  at the ok prompt,
doing a boot -r worked?

What is wrong here?

~S

boot-command ignored?

Post by Jorgen Moquis » Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:27:05

> On my ultra 10, I just did a eeprom boot-command='boot -r', then
> reboot.  As the system comes up, I see 'Rebooting with command: boot'.
> I did a stop-a. printenv showed that boot-command was indeed set to boot
> -r.  at the ok prompt, doing a boot -r worked?

> What is wrong here?

> ~S

hi, the reboot command ignores eeprom settings, try reboot -- -r
     or touch /reconfigure, reboot.
/j?rgen

boot-command ignored?

Post by shea marti » Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:28:32

>> On my ultra 10, I just did a eeprom boot-command='boot -r', then
>> reboot.  As the system comes up, I see 'Rebooting with command:
>> boot'.  I did a stop-a. printenv showed that boot-command was indeed
>> set to boot -r.  at the ok prompt, doing a boot -r worked?

>> What is wrong here?

>> ~S

> hi, the reboot command ignores eeprom settings, try reboot -- -r
>     or touch /reconfigure, reboot.
> /j?rgen

thanks

1. SCSI timeouts during boot - command to ignore?

I am running RedHat 6.2 with an Adaptec 2940U2W. I recently added a third
harddrive on the SCSI chain and begin getting SCSI timeouts. I replaced the
cables and terminator with Granite Digital and haven't had a SCSI timeout
for 5 days, except with Linux! During the boot, it attempts to get to drive
8 (the new drive and gets a a timeout and goes into an infinite loop waiting
for that drive. These are the same symptoms that I got before replacing the
cables.  The same machine has Win3.1 w/PC DOS 7 + Win98 + OS/2 + NT 4.0 +
Win2000 and all of those are running fine (no logged timouts for 5 days,
since I replaced the cables).  Linux has no partitions on the third drive
(single NTFS primary partition). If I physically remove that third drive,
Linux boots fine.

The SCSI chain has:
    ID 0 - boot disk - 9GB
         1 - 18GB
         3 - DVD-RAM
         4 - CD/ROM
         5 - CD R/W
         6 - DAT tape
         7 - Adaptec self address
         8 - 36 GB drive

I would like to set Linux to ignore this drive completely - is there any way
to do this at the boot prompt? Obviously it is a trifle difficult to make
changes to this system as the only way to boot it is to power down, open the
case, pull the SCSI cable, power up and boot and use it. Or might it be
something else wrong?

J. Scott Walton

2. ADSL + Cable modem connections

3. Ignoring specific boot messages / boot message redirection??

4. Port forwarding keeps dying on me

5. RH7.2 xpdf ignores command line options and X resources

6. No colors in emacs 19.34.1?

7. Ultrix's "mail" command ignores settings in .mailrc

8. NCR53c810 alpha driver problem

9. uniq command, ignore fields?

10. iptables command ignored?

11. Ignoring trap command for a grep function

12. set command ignoring single/double quotes

13. apm 3.0 ignore command doesn't work