icmp echo (ping) is limited to 2/sec under Solaris. how to increase?

icmp echo (ping) is limited to 2/sec under Solaris. how to increase?

Post by Greg Hers » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I got some INTERNET performance-measurement tools for testing
(Treno, and pathchar, if anyone cares), and in both cases it's
mentioned that since 'some clever person has limited response rate to
ping on solaris to 2/sec', a user of these tools won't be getting
correct results.

Since machines I'm working with are mostly Solaris (2.5, 2.5.1, and
few are 2.6), I would rather not move to a different flavor of Unix.
So here is my question: is there any way I can bump up this rate?

(we are using UltraSparcs 1s in most cases)

Gregory Hersh
Network Engineer
GTE Internetworking - Powered by BBN.

icmp echo (ping) is limited to 2/sec under Solaris. how to increase?

Post by W. Richard Steve » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I got some INTERNET performance-measurement tools for testing
> (Treno, and pathchar, if anyone cares), and in both cases it's
> mentioned that since 'some clever person has limited response rate to
> ping on solaris to 2/sec', a user of these tools won't be getting
> correct results.

> Since machines I'm working with are mostly Solaris (2.5, 2.5.1, and
> few are 2.6), I would rather not move to a different flavor of Unix.
> So here is my question: is there any way I can bump up this rate?

Use "ndd /dev/ip ip_icmp_err_interval <value>" to set it to <value> ms.
Take a look at the Update to Appendix E of "TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1"
(http://www.kohala.com/~rstevens/tcpipiv1.html) for the details.  The
default is 500 ms, which is what you're seeing.  I also think the Solaris
FAQ addresses this.

        Rich Stevens