Cannot label a new tape in Solstice (Networker)

Cannot label a new tape in Solstice (Networker)

Post by Peter Rysa » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 21:31:26

I am probably overlooking something simple, but I cannot seem to be
able to label a DDS3 tape on a Solaris 7 system, using Solstice 5.5.1.
I have no problems with accessing or relabeling existing tapes, but
any new tape (of the same exact type) causes a message about a "label
read, I/O error", and the tape drive soon gets disabled due to too
many errors. I have tried several new tapes with the same result. I
know that I shouldn't have to "format" these tapes prior to use, so
what am I overlooking?

Cannot label a new tape in Solstice (Networker)

Post by Steve Taylo » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:29:18

I use Legato Networker and I can label new tapes.

> > I am probably overlooking something simple, but I cannot seem to be
> > able to label a DDS3 tape on a Solaris 7 system, using Solstice 5.5.1.
> > I have no problems with accessing or relabeling existing tapes, but
> > any new tape (of the same exact type) causes a message about a "label
> > read, I/O error", and the tape drive soon gets disabled due to too
> > many errors. I have tried several new tapes with the same result. I
> > know that I shouldn't have to "format" these tapes prior to use, so
> > what am I overlooking?

> Don't know if networker allows you to write a label, regardless of the
> errors.  If not, you may either have a bad tape or drive errors (more
> unlikely).  There's no format for tapes, per se.  Network expects data
> to be on the tape in the form of a lable.  It may not like a completely
> blank tape, which would be the case of new tape.

> As a SWAG, try dd'ing the unix kernel to a new tape and then labeling
> it.  If it fixes the problem, log a bug report with Legato.  This
> certainly would not be considered a "feature".

> --
> Michael Vilain, Certified Advanced Rolfer(r)

> http://www.vilain.com

1. Solstice Backup/Legato Networker problem : need label stored on tape, not jukebox

Hello all,

Maybe it is a basic question, and possibly answered before, but does
anyone know how to read tapelabels stored on the DLT-tape itself when
no barcode label has been put on the tape.

I know from trial by error that in a label operation
( for example: # nsrjb -L -S <slot number> -b "<pool name>" )
when you use a used tape with a new label, it somehow verifies the
label with the label stored on the tape itself ( it returns that label
and asks for an overwrite confirmation )

I don't need to read any other info from the tape, although out of
curiosity any extra information i can get ( from just the tape ) from
the commandline could be interesting:
- Is there a connection with the networker database when the above
command is carried out ?
- Is there any additional info to get from just the media itself

I ask this because some barcode labels in our backup pools are
missing, and i need to verify that these tapes can be recycled or need
to be relabeled with their former barcode label numbers.

The hardware concerned : Sun E420, Storedge L20 jukebox and
Solstice/Legato.

All if indeed any info is appreciated.

2. Linux Command Line shutdown for NT4

3. Importing Networker 5.5 tapes into Solstice Backup 6.1

4. How to install GF1 patches for GUS under 2.0.25

5. How to bypass Solstice Tape Label?

6. Very New

7. cannot find label (disk label corrupted)

8. Anyone knows ftp′s with linux programs?

9. Legato NetWorker - Soft Errors on 8mm 3M Data tapes (replace tape!)

10. Firewall1 and Solstice Backup (Legato Networker)

11. Networker or Solstice backup 6.0

12. Solstice Backup (NetWorker)

13. Networker (Solstice Backup) WISS error