ANNOUNCEMENT: Evil Purple NewsCache v1.0.05 Beta

ANNOUNCEMENT: Evil Purple NewsCache v1.0.05 Beta

Post by Vidar Hokst » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

This is a _one time_ announcement of the availability of
Evil Purple NewsCache - a caching news proxy for NNTP - for
SUN Solaris 2.5 and newer on Sparc machines.

Information about Evil Purple, and about obtaining a beta, is
available at <URL:http://www.ncg.net/newscache/>

--

  <URL:http://deepthought.ncg.net/>  | <URL:http://www.norconnect.no/>
--

1. ANNOUNCEMENT: v1.0 BETA 1 release of x2600

ANNOUNCEMENT: v1.0 BETA 1 release of x2600, An Atari 2600 Emulator

x2600 is available for download as source and Linux ELF binaries from
http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~wilhor/x2600.html

Here is the README from the source distribution. For more information check
the above URL.

x2600 README
============

$Id: README,v 1.1 1996/03/21 17:15:31 alex Exp alex $

Introduction
------------
Welcome to x2600, an Atari 2600 Emulator for UNIX/X systems. You can now
experience all the fun of old 2600 games on your high powered workstation.
Thrill to the blocky graphics! Get headaches from the flicker! Wallow in
nostalgia!

Using the Emulator
------------------
Usage: x2600 [OPTIONS] filename
-rr refreshrate
-ntsc bool

and filename should be either a straight 2k or 4k cartridge dump, or an
Activision Action Pack .bin format file.

e.g. x2600 -rr 3 ~/carts/pacman.vcs

Why?
----
x2600 is the the result on my 3rd year university project. I aimed to preserve
old computer games that would otherwise be lost to the world.

Platforms
---------
I have tested x2600 on my home Linux system and on a Sparc 2 running
SunOS 4.3. If you manage to compile it on another platform please send me an
e-mail.

Performance
-----------
The 2600 is notoriously difficult to emulate, especially in C. So I would
recommend at least a Pentium level processor. The frame buffer speed also
matters.

On a Sparc 2 x2600 is far too slow.
On a Pentium 100 is just nice with frame skipping set to 3.

Better performance will probably come in later releases.

Known Bugs/Limitations
----------------------
Not all games work.
Beware of the file selector, it doesn't always work.
There is no sound support yet.

Copyright
---------
x2600 is free software distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public
License. See the file COPYING for details.

Credits
-------
A full list of contributors can be found in the file CREDITS.

Alex Hornby 21.3.96

--
++ Alex Hornby | Third Year Computer Science | University of Warwick ++
++ http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~wilhor/ | PGP | Tel (01203) 677624  ++

2. raid scsi solution

3. ANNOUNCE: Unix::ConfigFile 0.05

4. Choosing files to delete, based on... Please help

5. Change minus sign position : 0.05- to -0.05

6. bsmtp -- how do I receive mail this way all mail is bouncing

7. Linux Joystick Mini HowTo Version 0.05 UPDATED for kernel 2.4.10

8. NFS mount from Solaris

9. CMI8330 Mini-HOWTO Version 0.05

10. V1.3 kernel release announcements?

11. SNIPS v1.1 (NOCOL) Release Announcement

12. ANNOUNCEMENT: PaulOS Embedded Operating System v1.0

13. ANNOUNCEMENT: Tin v1.2 GAMMA PL0 for LINUX (nov & xover aware)