Unix(&Novell) backup systems

Post by Graeme Wo » Sat, 25 Mar 1995 19:54:20

The University of Edinburgh is currently re-evaluating its backup strategy.
We would be interested to hear from people who are using backup products to
provide an enterprise-wide backup/retrieval service. We would be especially
happy to hear from people who have been using Networker and also those with
an EXB-120 jukebox.

If you can spare the time from backing up all your systems and retrieving files
for your users :-), could you please answer some of the questions below and

Thank you for your time.

1. How many systems do you backup?

2. What types of systems are these?

        - Unix workstations

        - Unix mainframes/time-sharing systems

        - Novell servers

        - Macintosh servers

        - PCs

3. How much disk space in total is backed up?

4. How much data is backed up nightly?

5. Do you run incremental backups or full backups all the time?

6. If you use incremental backups, how often do you do a full backup?

7. What software do you use?

        - Networker

        - Budtool

        - Palindrome

        - ARCserve

        - PMP

        - dump/restore/cpio/tar

        - home-grown scripts

        - something else

8. Are you happy with what you are using (if not why not)?

9. What backup devices are you using?

        - Exabyte

        - DAT

        - Optical disk

        - Stacker

        - Jukebox

10. Are you happy with the performance of your backup device (if not why not)?

Unix Systems Support                        Phone: +44 131 650 5003
The University of Edinburgh                 Fax:   +44 131 650 6552

for your multimedia conferencing support    WWW:   http://mice.ed.ac.uk/mice/

Unix(&Novell) backup systems

Post by Elvis Aaron Presl » Mon, 27 Mar 1995 13:49:09

> The University of Edinburgh is currently re-evaluating its backup strategy.
> We would be interested to hear from people who are using backup products to
> provide an enterprise-wide backup/retrieval service. We would be especially
> happy to hear from people who have been using Networker and also those with
> an EXB-120 jukebox.

In return for all of this free info, could you post your findings here?
Right now I'm looking at Quick Restore from Workstation Solutions, but
it's only for UNIX machines...

--
Elvis

Unix(&Novell) backup systems

Post by Charl » Tue, 28 Mar 1995 23:48:48

: > The University of Edinburgh is currently re-evaluating its backup strategy.
: > We would be interested to hear from people who are using backup products to
: > provide an enterprise-wide backup/retrieval service. We would be especially
: > happy to hear from people who have been using Networker and also those with
: > an EXB-120 jukebox.

: In return for all of this free info, could you post your findings here?
: Right now I'm looking at Quick Restore from Workstation Solutions, but
: it's only for UNIX machines...

We are currently looking at a product called Dtool from Dallas Stone.
They have backup servers for several machines, as well as a client deamon
for several machines that allow backup over the network w/o NFS.  They
also have a DOS TSR backup deamon and are currently working on a Mac version.

They do support stackers.  You can find their ads in the back on Sun Expert.

--
        Harnad describes the status of Usenet aptly:
                a communication medium with revolutionary intellectual