Playing Audio CD through SS20 audio port

Playing Audio CD through SS20 audio port

Post by Ashish D. Aggarwa » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am using a Sparc20 with Solaris 2.5.1. Is there a way I can play audio
CD using the audio port that is there in the back of the machine? I have
the program called workman but the output is though the headphone jack
on the CD player itself. I have a good sound card on the system and
would like to direct this output to the /dev/audio port.

Ashish

Playing Audio CD through SS20 audio port

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Workman 1.4beta3 (no longer supported since the change of maintainers)
can (with CD-ROM drives that support that sort of thing; not all)
read the data of the audio tracks on the CD-ROM and play them via
the audio device.  This of course means it uses more CPU that way,
and all you really gain is the use of an alternate output, and the
ability to (if you have an appropriate > 1x CD-ROM drive) diddle
with the playback speed (or play backwards looking for satanic messages,
if that sort of thing appeals to you).  Well, actually you can copy
the data to a file, too, but it's _huge_, so you probably wouldn't want
to.

Quote:> I am using a Sparc20 with Solaris 2.5.1. Is there a way I can play audio

--
ftp> get |fortune
377 I/O error: smart remark generator failed

Bogonics: the primary language inside the Beltway

Post by nik.. » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: I am using a Sparc20 with Solaris 2.5.1. Is there a way I can play audio
: CD using the audio port that is there in the back of the machine? I have
: the program called workman but the output is though the headphone jack
: on the CD player itself. I have a good sound card on the system and
: would like to direct this output to the /dev/audio port.

: Ashish

 If you have source for Workman try to compile it w/o option that forces
programme to send output to headphones. As far as I remember you can
select where it goes :) If not - then you have the same problem as I had
on few machines

1. Playing audio CD thru /dev/audio

I'm not going to email this because it is probably of general interest.

The current beta version of workman does this (with 2.4 and certain
cd drives). It's not perfect but it mostly works. Sounds good too
(better than plugging the headphones directly into the cdrom audio
jack).

To find this, use archie or something to get any version of workman,
then look at it for its 'home' ftp site.

--

2. Filter text strings from binaries

3. How to play audio cd's thru soundcard?

4. Linux and Adaptec 2940-7880 seeprom error...

5. Help playing audio CD's on my CD-ROM drive

6. Xpmac broken

7. SCSI 3X CD occasionally gets confused playing audio CD's

8. cident9 - new ident daemon

9. Audio mixer for /dev/audio or USB audio?

10. playing audio CDs on Sun cd-rom drive

11. CD-RW cannot play audio CD

12. Help - CD-ROM won't play audio CDs.

13. playing CD audio without CD analog connection