second hme doesn't come up

Post by Paul Herman » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 01:01:23

I have a few SUN CP1500 cPCI machine with 2 hme ehternet ports on it.

Only using hme0 is ok. interface is UP and has correct netmask and
broadcast.
When using both hme's hme0 comes up correctly, but hme1 stays down and has
wrong netmask and broadcast (belonging to a class A network).
I can correct it manually (ifconfig hme1....) but i want it OK by default.

The only things i changed:

/etc/hostname.hme1:
venbla1_net3

/etc/hosts:
venbla1            31.47.2.151
venbla1_net3    31.47.3.151

/etc/netmaks:
31.47.2.0    255.255.255.0
31.47.3.0    255.255.255.0

What do i wrong ?

second hme doesn't come up

Post by wam » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 06:21:28

> I have a few SUN CP1500 cPCI machine with 2 hme ehternet ports on it.

> Only using hme0 is ok. interface is UP and has correct netmask and
> broadcast.
> When using both hme's hme0 comes up correctly, but hme1 stays down and has
> wrong netmask and broadcast (belonging to a class A network).
> I can correct it manually (ifconfig hme1....) but i want it OK by default.

> The only things i changed:

> /etc/hostname.hme1:
> venbla1_net3

> /etc/hosts:
> venbla1            31.47.2.151
> venbla1_net3    31.47.3.151

> /etc/netmaks:
> 31.47.2.0    255.255.255.0
> 31.47.3.0    255.255.255.0

> What do i wrong ?

What is the version of Solaris...

second hme doesn't come up

Post by Paul Herman » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 15:51:52

Ah, i forgot to tell the version:
 Solaris 8 04/01 sparc

Quote:> > I have a few SUN CP1500 cPCI machine with 2 hme ehternet ports on it.

Post by Andreas Almro » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 23:13:20

> I have a few SUN CP1500 cPCI machine with 2 hme ehternet ports on it.

> Only using hme0 is ok. interface is UP and has correct netmask and
> broadcast.
> When using both hme's hme0 comes up correctly, but hme1 stays down and has
> wrong netmask and broadcast (belonging to a class A network).
> I can correct it manually (ifconfig hme1....) but i want it OK by default.

> The only things i changed:

> /etc/hostname.hme1:
> venbla1_net3

> /etc/hosts:
> venbla1            31.47.2.151
> venbla1_net3    31.47.3.151

> /etc/netmaks:
> 31.47.2.0    255.255.255.0
> 31.47.3.0    255.255.255.0

> What do i wrong ?

I hope the file is /etc/netmasks...

Try removing the underscore. In DNS by default underscore is not
allowed, maybe Solaris, even when using file lookup doesn't like it...
I haven't got a sandbox Netra available at the moment to test, maybe
tomorrow...
Not that it is the same hardware...
Have you looked at Sun's patch database for your particular hardware?

My $0.25,
Andreas

second hme doesn't come up

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 00:20:39

> When using both hme's hme0 comes up correctly, but hme1 stays down and has
> wrong netmask and broadcast (belonging to a class A network).
> I can correct it manually (ifconfig hme1....) but i want it OK by default.
> The only things i changed:
> /etc/hostname.hme1:
> venbla1_net3

Can you confirm that hostname.hme1 doesn't contain an extraneous
newline?  There must be one and only one in it, or the file is
interpreted in a different way.

          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

second hme doesn't come up

Post by Martien Poel » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 05:44:26

Hi Everyone,

That was the solution, one "new line" too many....

Martien Poels (a collegue of Paul!)

Post by Darren Dunha » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 01:12:39

> Hi Everyone,
> That was the solution, one "new line" too many....

Note that this is a change in the operation of Solaris 8 from previous
releases.  That means that an upgrade can cause one of your interface
files to be incorrect even though it used to work on 7 or previous
releases.

          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >