x86 jumpstart profile

Post by Stephen Sepulved » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am upgrading x86 machines from Solaris 2.4 to Solaris 2.6 using
jumpstart.  It is finding the boot server and loading the kernel but
then when it checks the profile it replies can't find /cdrom
I'm not sure why its looking for /cdrom but the following is my profile
which may not be right.
I don't want to preserve any filesystems and I wan't them to be the size
specified
Can somebody reply with a correct profile for what I want?

install_type     initial_install
system_type   standalone
partitioning      explicit
cluster              SUNWcall
fdisk                 c0t0d0 solaris delete
filesys              c0t0d0s0  33  /
filesys              c0t0d0s1  200 swap
filesys              c0t0d0s4  26 /var
filesys              c0t0d0s5  305 /opt
filesys              c0t0d0s6  305 /usr
filesys              c0t0d0s7  free /export/home

--
thanks,

stephen sepulveda

x86 jumpstart profile

Post by Jan Struyf » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

The /cdrom dir is needed as a mount point.  On that location the
directory (from your installserver) with Solaris_2.6 in it will be
mounted.
You probably need to make the /cdrom on your bootserver in the directory
that is mounted on the / (root) of your clients.

> I am upgrading x86 machines from Solaris 2.4 to Solaris 2.6 using
> jumpstart.  It is finding the boot server and loading the kernel but
> then when it checks the profile it replies can't find /cdrom
> I'm not sure why its looking for /cdrom but the following is my
> profile which may not be right.
> I don't want to preserve any filesystems and I wan't them to be the
> size specified
> Can somebody reply with a correct profile for what I want?

> install_type     initial_install
> system_type   standalone
> partitioning      explicit
> cluster              SUNWcall
> fdisk                 c0t0d0 solaris delete
> filesys              c0t0d0s0  33  /
> filesys              c0t0d0s1  200 swap
> filesys              c0t0d0s4  26 /var
> filesys              c0t0d0s5  305 /opt
> filesys              c0t0d0s6  305 /usr
> filesys              c0t0d0s7  free /export/home

> --
> thanks,

> stephen sepulveda

1. Jumpstart x86: How not to PXE after jumpstart finishes and reboots ...

Hi:

Does anyone know or have a the soultion to the following.

========
Given:
========
 - Jumpstart Solaris 10 onto an !!NON-Sun!! manufactured x86 systems
   (where there is a BIOS, and not OpenBoot).

 - Completely hands-off since we are building racks of these x86
systems.

========
Question
========
How does one get around the fact that the BIOS, once set to boot off
the network
via PXE, cannot "programmatically" be reset to boot off the disk? (as
far as I know
it can only be done manually, which means no hands-off jumpstart). :-(

Side Note: Having to deal with this issue early on, Linux does so via a
system program
called pivot_root, which avoids rebooting altogether by essentially
unwinding the in-memory
O/S used at build time to a certain point, and then rebuilding the O/S
but from information
contained on the disk to create the run-time version (... it never
reboots).

Anyone see any work arounds for Solaris x86 (in any fashion) for this
problem?

TIA
Regards,
Noelle

2. How to route between 2 networks (RH 7.3)?

3. 2.6 Jumpstart Profile - to mount /usr/dt

4. Nvdia driver problems

5. Solaris 10 jumpstart. Rules processed but profile isnt.

6. The disagreement principle

7. jumpstarting with a profile server

8. POWERstation 350 gets 888 on service startup

9. jumpstart profile

10. Jumpstart profile requires a cluster, how can I avoid this?

11. Jumpstart Client doesn't see the profile

12. Jumpstart - profile not found error

13. jumpstart profile being ignored