Ultra 1 won't boot

Ultra 1 won't boot

Post by IrixCentra » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 15:54:48





> Is there any reason why your cross-posted to so many newsgroups?

of course there is.  he is a $#%$% moron!

cheers.

 
 
 

Ultra 1 won't boot

Post by MT » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 23:11:53



Quote:> I recently bought a Sun Ultra 1 143MHz computer.  It has 128MB RAM, 4.3Gig
> Seagate HDD, Sun Framebuffer video, Toshiba SCSI CD, etc.

> I have been unable to boot it at all.  Since the HDD is new, I can't boot
> from it (still unformatted).  I've tried booting Solaris as well as Debian
> and Mandrake SPARC CDs.  Debian's floppy boot disks don't work on the
sun4u
> architecture.  It starts booting, then freezes just after displaying the
> boot device's physical location.

> I've also tried net booting.  Alas, I don't have a *NIX box to do a net
> boot.  I was, however, able to find ARP/RARP and TFTP servers  for Windows
> 2000.  The Sun box gets an IP fine through ARP/RARP, and starts TFTP'ing
> properly, but stops shortly thereafter.  On the Sun's monitor I see:

> ok boot net
> <ethernet card's SBus address> Filename and args:
> ***

> The *** starts with a fast-moving series of characters (download
progress?),
> but stops at 'b600'.  The boot then hangs at that point.  The TFTP
download
> then times out. According to one of the Windows TFTP servers I tried (of 4
> or so), the box downloaded 30208 bytes of info before hitting a timeout.

> Any help would be /greatly/ appreciated.

> Thanks,
> MT

RE: Rich Teer's and IrixCentral's posts:
Please excuse my lack of etiquette.

More info:

ok devalias
<snip>



<snip>

ok boot cdrom

<cursor>

After I hit enter, the system reads some part of the CD-ROM (I hear it
spinning up and see the drive light flicker), then hangs, completely frozen.
I can't even use Stop-A to stop booting and get back to the OpenBoot prompt.
I've tried this with Solaris 9, Debian 3.0r1, and Mandrake 7.1, and all of
them do the same thing.

If I remember correctly, the Ultra is running OpenBoot 3.1 or 3.11, though I
don't have it in front of me.  I know it's definitely an older version.

The CD-ROM drive is a Toshiba XM-5401B SCSI drive.  I've checked its jumper
settings; it's set to be device 6 and to be the SCSI terminator.  There's a
jumper for parity, but I don't see any jumper setting where I can set it to
use a 512-byte block size.  I've seen posts elsewhere on the Net where this
seemed to solve the no-boot-from-CD issue.

MT

 
 
 

Ultra 1 won't boot

Post by Rich Tee » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 03:37:36



> of course there is.  he is a $#%$% moron!

That's a bit unfair - he's a newbie.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URL: http://www.rite-online.net

 
 
 

Ultra 1 won't boot

Post by Rich Tee » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 03:44:42



> After I hit enter, the system reads some part of the CD-ROM (I hear it
> spinning up and see the drive light flicker), then hangs, completely frozen.
> I can't even use Stop-A to stop booting and get back to the OpenBoot prompt.
> I've tried this with Solaris 9, Debian 3.0r1, and Mandrake 7.1, and all of
> them do the same thing.

Hmmmm.

Quote:> If I remember correctly, the Ultra is running OpenBoot 3.1 or 3.11, though I
> don't have it in front of me.  I know it's definitely an older version.

When you finally get it working, it's worth downloading the latest
Ultra 1 OBP patch (make sure you don't get the "E" version of the
patch).

Quote:> The CD-ROM drive is a Toshiba XM-5401B SCSI drive.  I've checked its jumper
> settings; it's set to be device 6 and to be the SCSI terminator.  There's a
> jumper for parity, but I don't see any jumper setting where I can set it to
> use a 512-byte block size.  I've seen posts elsewhere on the Net where this
> seemed to solve the no-boot-from-CD issue.

The drive you're using is supported (it's a 12X device).  How do your
jumper settings compare to these:

        http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Removable_Media/RMVBL_Su...

Scroll down to the bottom drive.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URL: http://www.rite-online.net

 
 
 

Ultra 1 won't boot

Post by Carl Lowenste » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 05:03:45





>> I recently bought a Sun Ultra 1 143MHz computer.  It has 128MB RAM,
>> 4.3Gig Seagate HDD, Sun Framebuffer video, Toshiba SCSI CD, etc.
>More info:
>ok devalias
><snip>



><snip>
>ok boot cdrom

><cursor>
>After I hit enter, the system reads some part of the CD-ROM (I hear it
>spinning up and see the drive light flicker), then hangs, completely frozen.
>I can't even use Stop-A to stop booting and get back to the OpenBoot prompt.
>I've tried this with Solaris 9, Debian 3.0r1, and Mandrake 7.1, and all of
>them do the same thing.
>If I remember correctly, the Ultra is running OpenBoot 3.1 or 3.11, though I
>don't have it in front of me.  I know it's definitely an older version.
>The CD-ROM drive is a Toshiba XM-5401B SCSI drive.  I've checked its jumper
>settings; it's set to be device 6 and to be the SCSI terminator.  There's a
>jumper for parity, but I don't see any jumper setting where I can set it to
>use a 512-byte block size.  I've seen posts elsewhere on the Net where this
>seemed to solve the no-boot-from-CD issue.

In my Ultra 1, the internal SCSI cable for the CD drive has a terminator
built into the end connector that fits onto the drive.  As an extra added
complication, the connector has 54 sockets, while the drive has 50 pins.
One "column" of two sockets overlaps the drive pins on each end.

Google search for more information on Toshiba XM-5401B leads me to the
belief that the drive has resistor packs for termination and the jumper
labeled TERM is actually for causing the drive to supply TERMPWR to the
bus.  An extra source of TERMPWR is redundant but not fatal.  A double
termination (one on the cable connector, one on the drive) is likely
to cause strange effects.

    carl

--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego

 
 
 

Ultra 1 won't boot

Post by David Lis » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 19:41:55




Quote:> When you finally get it working, it's worth downloading the latest
> Ultra 1 OBP patch (make sure you don't get the "E" version of the
> patch).

Excuse me for budding in, here. I have an Ultra 1 Creator (A12-170E), which
has never been OBP updated, so I would like to hear more about this: where
do you get the update?
All I can find is this page, which tells me that there were once CDs with
the updates, but they are not issued anymore:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Boot_PROM/BootPROM_Flash...

I know: don't fix anything that's not broken. However, I am soon going to
change the harddrives in the system to something bigger and the CD-ROM
drive into something that can read CD-RWs, and I would like to have the OBP
update ready by then if I run into trouble and an OBP update is a possible
solution.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
David List

 
 
 

Ultra 1 won't boot

Post by Michael Laajane » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 02:43:05


HI,




>>When you finally get it working, it's worth downloading the latest
>>Ultra 1 OBP patch (make sure you don't get the "E" version of the
>>patch).

> Excuse me for budding in, here. I have an Ultra 1 Creator (A12-170E), which
> has never been OBP updated, so I would like to hear more about this: where
> do you get the update?
> All I can find is this page, which tells me that there were once CDs with
> the updates, but they are not issued anymore:
> http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Boot_PROM/BootPROM_Flash...

Search for "HARDWARE/PROM" and you will get all OPENBOOT updates.

Since you are the lucky 170E owner(i am not ) then you should get
104288-07 if I am not misstaking.

By the way, if you install Solaris I think the installer will update the
flash if needed?

Default it runs 32-bit on <200MHz U1, so you need to change that
manually and also move a jumper on the board before updating the flash,
en after updated put the jumper back to Read-only mode.

All this info is in a README in the patch.

I run my 143MHz in 64 bit and works fine, it feel better to be 64 bit :))

/michael

 
 
 

Ultra 1 won't boot

Post by MT » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 12:51:33




> > After I hit enter, the system reads some part of the CD-ROM (I hear it
> > spinning up and see the drive light flicker), then hangs, completely
frozen.
> > I can't even use Stop-A to stop booting and get back to the OpenBoot
prompt.
> > I've tried this with Solaris 9, Debian 3.0r1, and Mandrake 7.1, and all
of
> > them do the same thing.

> Hmmmm.

> > If I remember correctly, the Ultra is running OpenBoot 3.1 or 3.11,
though I
> > don't have it in front of me.  I know it's definitely an older version.

> When you finally get it working, it's worth downloading the latest
> Ultra 1 OBP patch (make sure you don't get the "E" version of the
> patch).

> > The CD-ROM drive is a Toshiba XM-5401B SCSI drive.  I've checked its
jumper
> > settings; it's set to be device 6 and to be the SCSI terminator.
There's a
> > jumper for parity, but I don't see any jumper setting where I can set it
to
> > use a 512-byte block size.  I've seen posts elsewhere on the Net where
this
> > seemed to solve the no-boot-from-CD issue.

> The drive you're using is supported (it's a 12X device).  How do your
> jumper settings compare to these:

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Removable_Media/RMVBL_Su...
tml

Quote:

> Scroll down to the bottom drive.

> --
> Rich Teer, SCNA

> President,
> Rite Online Inc.

> Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
> URL: http://www.rite-online.net

Rich,

Jumpers are on ID4, ID2, and TERMPWR.

Could the SCSI cable be in backwards?  Currently it's looping from the hard
drive connector without any twists, looping through a half-circle (180
degrees) to the CDROM connector.

The machine is on OpenBoot 3.1.

Tonight I tried: Stop-N at startup (factory presets), but still hangs at
boot time.

I did 'setenv autoboot? false' to avoid the need to Stop-A each time I
turned it on.

This is really getting frustrating. :-/

MT

 
 
 

Ultra 1 won't boot

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 14:31:36



> Jumpers are on ID4, ID2, and TERMPWR.

What about parity?  The drive in the URL I posted last
has a jumper on the parity pins.

Quote:> Could the SCSI cable be in backwards?  Currently it's looping from the hard
> drive connector without any twists, looping through a half-circle (180
> degrees) to the CDROM connector.

That's correct.

Quote:> The machine is on OpenBoot 3.1.

VERY old!

Quote:> I did 'setenv autoboot? false' to avoid the need to Stop-A each time I
> turned it on.

That makes sense while you're trying ot get the thing
working.

Quote:> This is really getting frustrating. :-/

I bet!  Check that term power jumper, and if all else
fails, maybe try an external CDROM drive.

Does the drive show up if you type "probe-scsi" at the
ok prompt?

--
Rich Teer, SCNA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URL: http://www.rite-online.net

 
 
 

Ultra 1 won't boot

Post by ****** dav » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:15:25






> > > After I hit enter, the system reads some part of the CD-ROM (I hear it
> > > spinning up and see the drive light flicker), then hangs, completely
> frozen.
> > > I can't even use Stop-A to stop booting and get back to the OpenBoot
> prompt.
> > > I've tried this with Solaris 9, Debian 3.0r1, and Mandrake 7.1, and
all
> of
> > > them do the same thing.

> > Hmmmm.

> > > If I remember correctly, the Ultra is running OpenBoot 3.1 or 3.11,
> though I
> > > don't have it in front of me.  I know it's definitely an older
version.

> > When you finally get it working, it's worth downloading the latest
> > Ultra 1 OBP patch (make sure you don't get the "E" version of the
> > patch).

> > > The CD-ROM drive is a Toshiba XM-5401B SCSI drive.  I've checked its
> jumper
> > > settings; it's set to be device 6 and to be the SCSI terminator.
> There's a
> > > jumper for parity, but I don't see any jumper setting where I can set
it
> to
> > > use a 512-byte block size.  I've seen posts elsewhere on the Net where
> this
> > > seemed to solve the no-boot-from-CD issue.

> > The drive you're using is supported (it's a 12X device).  How do your
> > jumper settings compare to these:

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Removable_Media/RMVBL_Su...

- Show quoted text -

Quote:> tml

> > Scroll down to the bottom drive.

> > --
> > Rich Teer, SCNA

> > President,
> > Rite Online Inc.

> > Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
> > URL: http://www.rite-online.net

> Rich,

> Jumpers are on ID4, ID2, and TERMPWR.

> Could the SCSI cable be in backwards?  Currently it's looping from the
hard
> drive connector without any twists, looping through a half-circle (180
> degrees) to the CDROM connector.

> The machine is on OpenBoot 3.1.

> Tonight I tried: Stop-N at startup (factory presets), but still hangs at
> boot time.

> I did 'setenv autoboot? false' to avoid the need to Stop-A each time I
> turned it on.

> This is really getting frustrating. :-/

Just a thought.  I had trouble booting from a CDROM
that I thought was good, turned out to be bad.  When
I tried a different cdrom, the machine booted and
worked fine with the newer one.  You might want to
try a different cdrom drive, either internal or external
if you can borrow one from a buddy.

dave.....

 
 
 

Ultra 1 won't boot

Post by MT » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:35:02




> > Jumpers are on ID4, ID2, and TERMPWR.

> What about parity?  The drive in the URL I posted last
> has a jumper on the parity pins.

Yeah, put a jumper on the parity pins.  Still no go.

Quote:

> > Could the SCSI cable be in backwards?  Currently it's looping from the
hard
> > drive connector without any twists, looping through a half-circle (180
> > degrees) to the CDROM connector.

> That's correct.

> > The machine is on OpenBoot 3.1.

> VERY old!

> > I did 'setenv autoboot? false' to avoid the need to Stop-A each time I
> > turned it on.

> That makes sense while you're trying ot get the thing
> working.

> > This is really getting frustrating. :-/

> I bet!  Check that term power jumper, and if all else
> fails, maybe try an external CDROM drive.

> Does the drive show up if you type "probe-scsi" at the
> ok prompt?

Yes, both the HDD and the CD-ROM show up with probe-scsi.

***UPDATE***
A friend came over tonight to see if he could help.  Here's what we tried:

CD-ROM boot.  No go.  He mucked about with OpenBoot's hardware interface,
but I don't think he was able to find anything special.

We did find that the computer did NOT freeze when we booted from CD-ROM
without a CD actually in the drive.

The guy I bought the Ultra 1 from mentioned that he'd tried another CD-ROM
drive without success.  I don't know if he tried any other CDs or not.

My friend had heard something about switches interfering with net boots, so
we made a crossover cable, and used that with my Win2K box running RARP/TFTP
services.  Same response as before (Sun counts to b600, server times out at
30208 bytes sent).

We couldn't get RARP to compile on my friend's Linux box, so we couldn't try
a net boot with at least a Unix-like OS.

Any more ideas?  I'm working on getting other drives/installation media.
We'll see how that goes.

MT

 
 
 

Ultra 1 won't boot

Post by Rich Tee » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 14:29:40



> Yeah, put a jumper on the parity pins.  Still no go.

:-(

Quote:> Yes, both the HDD and the CD-ROM show up with probe-scsi.

> ***UPDATE***
> A friend came over tonight to see if he could help.  Here's what we tried:

Hmm.  Does the media you're using work in another machine?
WHere did you get the media?  Self-burned, or from an original
Sun media kit?  If you burned it yourself, how did you do it?
Beware M$-only Joliet extensions!

Quote:> My friend had heard something about switches interfering with net boots, so

Your friend heard wrong.  :-)  Switches don't intefere with net boots,
but the server and the client must be on the same network segment.
So routers can be a problem, but not switches.

Quote:> we made a crossover cable, and used that with my Win2K box running RARP/TFTP
> services.  Same response as before (Sun counts to b600, server times out at
> 30208 bytes sent).

> We couldn't get RARP to compile on my friend's Linux box, so we couldn't try
> a net boot with at least a Unix-like OS.

> Any more ideas?  I'm working on getting other drives/installation media.
> We'll see how that goes.

With this sort of problem, it's very hard to perform remote
diagnosis.  :-(

Talking of diagnostics, enable the diagnostics in the
OBP, attach a serial terminal to TTY A, and reboot the
machine with the keyboard unplugged.  You should get a
whole bunch of diagnostics printed on the terminal,
which might help you track down the problem.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URL: http://www.rite-online.net

 
 
 

Ultra 1 won't boot

Post by MT » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 02:50:31


"Rich Teer" wrote in :


> > ***UPDATE***
> > A friend came over tonight to see if he could help.  Here's what we
tried:

> Hmm.  Does the media you're using work in another machine?
> WHere did you get the media?  Self-burned, or from an original
> Sun media kit?  If you burned it yourself, how did you do it?
> Beware M$-only Joliet extensions!

I burned all the media myself, using Nero Burning ROM.  I'm trying to see if
I can find anyone with media/CDROM that are known to be good.

Quote:

> > My friend had heard something about switches interfering with net boots,
so

> Your friend heard wrong.  :-)  Switches don't intefere with net boots,
> but the server and the client must be on the same network segment.
> So routers can be a problem, but not switches.

Yeah, I though that seemed a little fishy.  :-/

Quote:

> > We couldn't get RARP to compile on my friend's Linux box, so we couldn't
try
> > a net boot with at least a Unix-like OS.

I'm installing another box with Debian, maybe I can get RARP/TFTP working on
that one.

Quote:

> > Any more ideas?  I'm working on getting other drives/installation media.
> > We'll see how that goes.

> With this sort of problem, it's very hard to perform remote
> diagnosis.  :-(

> Talking of diagnostics, enable the diagnostics in the
> OBP, attach a serial terminal to TTY A, and reboot the
> machine with the keyboard unplugged.  You should get a
> whole bunch of diagnostics printed on the terminal,
> which might help you track down the problem.

I don't have a serial terminal.  Would it be possible to emulate a dumb
terminal somehow with a PC?  I've got machines running Win95, ME, and 2k
available, as well as a box that should have Debian installed on it within
the next few days.

MT

 
 
 

Ultra 1 won't boot

Post by Rich Tee » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 04:26:11



> I burned all the media myself, using Nero Burning ROM.  I'm trying to see if
> I can find anyone with media/CDROM that are known to be good.

MIght be worth splashing out for the SUn media kit, then.
You'll know it's good, and it comes with lots of extra
goodies.

Quote:> I don't have a serial terminal.  Would it be possible to emulate a dumb
> terminal somehow with a PC?  I've got machines running Win95, ME, and 2k
> available, as well as a box that should have Debian installed on it within
> the next few days.

HyperTerm apparently does the job.  Can't say I've tried it
myself, as I don't have any PCs here, nor do I use Windoze.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URL: http://www.rite-online.net

 
 
 

1. Ultra 30 won't boot from cd (boot: cannot open kernel/unix)



        [chop]

How about when it starts to POST:

<STOP> - <A>

ok boot cdrom   <---- you type the "boot cdrom"

This is provided your CD-Rom is SCSI ID 6 and recognized by your
box...

It's looking for the kernel on your system disk, which isn't setup
yet...Try that and lemme know how it goes.

-Matt.

--
  Matthew D. Lammers -- NetSet Internet Solutions, Inc.
  http://www.netset.com/
  PGP Key Available at the usual places.

2. iptables and NFS

3. Ultra-5 won't boot from cdrom

4. A move to Suse

5. ultra 2 won't boot with CPU upgrade

6. Fix for /bin/login security hole.

7. Ultra 10 won't boot from CD-ROM !

8. olvwm under solaris2

9. Ultra 5 won't boot with 512mb

10. Ultra 5 won't boot from CD

11. sparc ultra 60 won't boot from external CDROM

12. Ultra 2 Won't Boot

13. Ultra 10 won't boot to HD or CDROM