Xlib: extension "RENDER"missing on display ":0.0".

Xlib: extension "RENDER"missing on display ":0.0".

Post by Kai Grossjohan » Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:58:42

I compiled and installed OpenBox and am now running it on Solaris
9/sparc with Xsun.  However, it's not working perfectly: the font in
the title bars and menus looks like chicken droppings, it's mostly
unreadable.  The only bit I can read is an entry "Go there" in a
specific menu which is shown in italic.

On startup of X11, I see the following message:
Xlib:  extension "RENDER"missing on display ":0.0".

I'm pretty sure it comes from OpenBox, since not much else is running
(only an xterm and an xconsole).

Kai

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:06:31

|On startup of X11, I see the following message:
|Xlib:  extension "RENDER"missing on display ":0.0".

Most sparc frame buffers don't support Render, but properly written
software should work the same without it.

 http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~alanc/   *   http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/

Post by Kai Grossjohan » Mon, 22 Nov 2004 01:28:58

> I compiled and installed OpenBox and am now running it on Solaris
> 9/sparc with Xsun.  However, it's not working perfectly: the font in
> the title bars and menus looks like chicken droppings, it's mostly
> unreadable.  The only bit I can read is an entry "Go there" in a
> specific menu which is shown in italic.

I now tried to compile OpenBox against the blastwave.org freetype2 and
xft packages, and now it works.  I don't have the foggiest, though,
what could have gone wrong when compiling against the stuff in
/usr/openwin and /usr/sfw.

I *should* get to the bottom of this, but perhaps I'll move on to more
interesting things to do with my box.

Kai