Setting up a print queue directory

Post by Tony » Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:13:59

Hello all,
 I had a problem that I have complete failed at trying to find the
answer to.  If there is mercy, please someone give me a little
guidence.

I have been charged with setting up a remote print queue on our Solaris
8 server.  Problem is the queue is just supposed to accept the jobs and
store them in a directory to be accessed at a later date.  Not printed
to a printer.  I can not find any documentation on how to setup
something like this.  Any leads anyone might have, even a URL or book
for me to read to get the answer myself would help more than you know.

Thank you in advance to any help anyone can give
Tony

Post by Greg Andre » Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:49:34

>I have been charged with setting up a remote print queue on our Solaris
>8 server.  Problem is the queue is just supposed to accept the jobs and
>store them in a directory to be accessed at a later date.  Not printed
>to a printer.  I can not find any documentation on how to setup
>something like this.  Any leads anyone might have, even a URL or book
>for me to read to get the answer myself would help more than you know.

This can be done, but it's not a built-in feature of the stock Solaris
print software.  You'll have to modify a shell script to store the files
in the directory (without creating duplicate filenames, etc.).

Here's the basic configuration:

  lpadmin  -p dirlp  -v /dev/null  -T unknown  -I any
  accept  dirlp
  enable  dirlp

  (the "-I any" has an uppercase i as the option letter, not a
  lowrcase L)

This is a local printerconfig, not a remote printer.  Since you want
the files stored on the local disk, it makes no sense whatsoever to
define a remote printer.  Solaris will just try to send the files to
another machine, and you don't want that.

After you've entered the above commands, the print software will create
the file /etc/lp/interfaces/dirlp.  This is a shell script written by
Sun to feed print files to a local printer.  It is invoked for each
print job that reaches the front of the print queue.

You will replace that shell script with the one you've modified to
store the files into the directory.  My advice would be to not modify
the one created by the print software.  It's far more complex than you
will need.

Instead, go to http://playground.sun.com/printing/ and click on the
link titled "Interface Scripts".  That page has a simplified script
that's much easier to modify, and a decent explanation of the command
line arguments and environment variables that are passed to the script
when the print software invokes it.

This should get you started in the right direction.  (on the other hand,
installing replacement print software that's based on the BSD lpd print
system might be simpler if you're not comfortable with shell scripts)

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

Setting up a print queue directory

Post by Tony » Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:04:07

Thanks, will try to implement this weekend.

> >I have been charged with setting up a remote print queue on our Solaris
> >8 server.  Problem is the queue is just supposed to accept the jobs and
> >store them in a directory to be accessed at a later date.  Not printed
> >to a printer.  I can not find any documentation on how to setup
> >something like this.  Any leads anyone might have, even a URL or book
> >for me to read to get the answer myself would help more than you know.

> This can be done, but it's not a built-in feature of the stock Solaris
> print software.  You'll have to modify a shell script to store the files
> in the directory (without creating duplicate filenames, etc.).

> Here's the basic configuration:

>   lpadmin  -p dirlp  -v /dev/null  -T unknown  -I any
>   accept  dirlp
>   enable  dirlp

>   (the "-I any" has an uppercase i as the option letter, not a
>   lowrcase L)

> This is a local printerconfig, not a remote printer.  Since you want
> the files stored on the local disk, it makes no sense whatsoever to
> define a remote printer.  Solaris will just try to send the files to
> another machine, and you don't want that.

> After you've entered the above commands, the print software will create
> the file /etc/lp/interfaces/dirlp.  This is a shell script written by
> Sun to feed print files to a local printer.  It is invoked for each
> print job that reaches the front of the print queue.

> You will replace that shell script with the one you've modified to
> store the files into the directory.  My advice would be to not modify
> the one created by the print software.  It's far more complex than you
> will need.

> Instead, go to http://playground.sun.com/printing/ and click on the
> link titled "Interface Scripts".  That page has a simplified script
> that's much easier to modify, and a decent explanation of the command
> line arguments and environment variables that are passed to the script
> when the print software invokes it.

> This should get you started in the right direction.  (on the other hand,
> installing replacement print software that's based on the BSD lpd print
> system might be simpler if you're not comfortable with shell scripts)

>   -Greg
> --
> Do NOT reply via e-mail.
> Reply in the newsgroup.

1. point solaris print queue to win2000 print queue

Hey all again,

I have users that telnet in to my server and i need to set up a couple of
queues to point to an nt server as i do not have direct printing rights to
the print server. any help appriceated

Solars 8 print queue to win2000 print queue

thanx in advance,

Oliver

2. alias in csh help

3. setting up print queue that prints to a file???

4. OpenBSD 2.9 installed on a Compaq Deskpro 4000

5. print queue directory doesn't flush

6. malformed packets/tracing info

7. Defining a queue printing to a directory

8. Getting nuts...

9. Need a print queue which dumps file to a directory, not a printer...

10. Remote print queue/queue device definitions

11. Queuing print jobs to NetWare queues?

12. Print queue as a batch queue.

13. Print Queue Set-Up