Wanna know ways to know all about the Solaris...

Wanna know ways to know all about the Solaris...

Post by Jonghyun Ki » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 15:47:59

I have installed Core x86 Solaris 8 on my PC which is about 56MB total...

I want to know what all those solaris files do...

What all those files under /etc, /kernel, /usr directories do...??

So I can figure out what to delete and what to not...

Is there any place where I can figure out about this?

Any websites ??

Thanks...

Wanna know ways to know all about the Solaris...

Post by Kyana » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 23:31:31

Quote:> I have installed Core x86 Solaris 8 on my PC which is about 56MB total...
> I want to know what all those solaris files do...
> What all those files under /etc, /kernel, /usr directories do...??
> So I can figure out what to delete and what to not...
> Is there any place where I can figure out about this?
> Any websites ??
> Thanks...

If you want to make your Solaris install more lean, do not delete files and
folders manually
Instead, remove unwanted packages. "pkginfo" will give you a list of all
packages installed
on your machine. Yuu can then determine what you do not need (double check
and make
sure that you *really*  do not need it) and then remove the package using
"pkgrm". Even
in a core install, you will find a lot of unnecessary packages.

Doing so will ensure that you get a lean machine without screwing up any
dependencies
(which could pretty well be the case if you manually started bumping files
and folders)

Good Luck