upgrade from 2.6 to 8

Post by Sinisa Ze » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:36:54

Hello all,
I need to upgrade Solaris 2.6 to 8 and I wonder how complicated this can be?
Does the Instalation program recognize older version and ask about upgrade
and saves /home and other user dirs or... I have installed a fresh version,
but never did an upgrade.

TIA

S.

upgrade from 2.6 to 8

Post by -lostINspace » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:49:22

1 Make a full level 0 backup first
2 put the 5.8 CD in and boot cdrom

the first question the installer asks is
1    initial install
2    upgrade

I have never tried option 2 - but would assume this would be a good start !

Hope this help

Happy installing!

Quote:> Hello all,
> I need to upgrade Solaris 2.6 to 8 and I wonder how complicated this can
be?
> Does the Instalation program recognize older version and ask about upgrade
> and saves /home and other user dirs or... I have installed a fresh
version,
> but never did an upgrade.

> TIA

> S.

upgrade from 2.6 to 8

Post by Ange » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:02:51

> 1 Make a full level 0 backup first
> 2 put the 5.8 CD in and boot cdrom

> the first question the installer asks is
> 1    initial install
> 2    upgrade

> I have never tried option 2 - but would assume this would be a good start !

> Hope this help

> Happy installing!

You can do upgrades and on the whole it does work.  If someone asked me
personally if I would perform an upgrade I would always say no and opt
for a fresh install also installing any apps and only restoring data.

Far more time consuming but at the end of it you know exactly what
you've got on the box and can place a greater degree of confidence in it.

Just my opinion though.  I know of lots of people who do upgrades but
mainly because the idea of taking a box offline and rebuilding it from
scratch scares the pants of their managers :)

Angel

upgrade from 2.6 to 8

Post by malcolm Campbel » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 23:55:11

> Hello all,
> I need to upgrade Solaris 2.6 to 8 and I wonder how complicated this can be?
> Does the Instalation program recognize older version and ask about upgrade
> and saves /home and other user dirs or... I have installed a fresh version,
> but never did an upgrade.

> TIA

> S.

personally i used solaris liveupgrade2.0 work really  well.
it uses cpio for coping all the important file while still keeping
all the files that are not important.

malc

1. dtsearchpath and dtappgather not running after upgrade to 2.6

Hi,

I recently upgraded by machine from Solaris 2.5.1 to Solaris 2.6.  The
process was fairly smooth, but now I find that the programs dtsearchpath
and dtappgather are not being properly run when I start a CDE session,
which means that my environment is not properly configured (ie. the
environment variables DTAPPSEARCHPATH, DTDATABASESEARCHPATH, etc. are
not defined and the application manager does not pick up changes to the
system).  I believe these programs are usually run from
/etc/dt/bin/Xsession, and I can't find anything wrong in this file.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I have messed up here?

Thanks.
--
Joshua Slive

Phone: (604) 822-1871

2. lint question

3. Live Upgrade from 2.6 to 9 ?

4. Pioneer CD-ROM Support?

5. HELP : Solaris 8 upgrade from 2.6

6. vold locked up

7. Apache and Solaris upgrade to 2.6

8. Anonymous Printing

9. Upgrade to 2.6 broke printing!

10. upgrading from 2.6 to 2.7!

11. How to upgrade Solaris 2.6 to 8 by Jumpstart?

12. Upgrade from 2.6

13. Tips on upgrading Solaris 2.6 to Solaris 2.8