Newbie needs boost in right direction.

Post by Martin Hepwort » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Stan
You need some software called samba - www.samba.org

If you have a graphics screen you can login and get a file manager type
app up, but without samba you won't able to share stuff with PC's, just
ftp files around..

Martin

> Hi All and thanks for reading,

>   We are a location of approximately 500 networked PCs, on a
> novelle-microsoft network.  We have indentified a need for a unix ws, and
> recently purchased the equivalent of a sun ultra-sparc 10, running solaris
> 2.6.  We have it on the network, as we can ping other PCs, but don't know
> where to goto from here.  I don't know if the operating system already has a
> file manager, or we need to get other software to see shared folders/files.
> I would appreciate a response to my e'mail:

> Thanks very much.

> Stan Cehonski (sha hon' ski)
> Project Engineer
> Mail Stop  R-11
> Philips Broadband Networks
> 100 Fairgrounds Dr.
> Manlius, NY 13104
> Voice (315) 682-9157x2581

1. Newbie needs a nudge in the right direction for recompiling the kernel with new drivers

I am using RH 7.3 with all the latest RPM updates from Up2Date. I want to
add Avaya Wireless LAN capability to my system. The Linux drivers from Avaya
(http://support.avaya.com) download have notes that say I need to recompile
my kernel with the new drivers provided by them. Unfortunately, as far as I
can tell, the notes assume a working knowledge of Linux sufficient to know
how to go about such an undertaking.

I am a relative newbie to Linux but willing to take the adventure. I just
need some help understanding what I am supposed to do. Could you please
point me in the right direction or explain what I need to do to recompile
the kernel with these new drivers?

Thank you!
Chip

2. postfix package

3. Newbie needs help in the right direction.

4. Tux graphics

5. Newbie is begging for a push in the right direction

6. Should I even *hope* to use this scanner with Linux?

7. Point a Newbie in the right direction DSP, Onboard Controller PC Modem

8. IRIX 6.4 diskperf/diskalign Vulnerabilities

9. point a newbie in the right direction?

10. need a finger in the right direction..........

11. Just need to be pointed in the right direction...

12. Network newbie needs direction

13. newbie needs direction