Solaris 2.5 imake problems.- could enter FAQ

Solaris 2.5 imake problems.- could enter FAQ

Post by David Wikle » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi Solaris developers,

I compile X contrib source code and most of them make an extensive
use of imake to propose platform independent compiling solutions.
So, I tried to use imake through the xmkmf command and that is where
the problems arise !

1. There are no rules defined for Motif libraries (and includes).
   OK, you can add /usr/dt/lib and -I/usr/dt/include to
   EXTRA_LIBRARIES and EXTRA_INCLUDES variables in
   /usr/openwin/lib/config/Imake.rules.

2. the make install rule is wrong as it assumes bsd syntax instead
   of System V one. OK you can change the parameters order for
   install in the file /usr/openwin/lib/config/Imake.rules.
   change:
  $(INSTALL) -c $(INSTLIBFLAGS) Concat(lib,libname.a) $(DESTDIR)dest
   into:
  $(INSTALL) -c $(DESTDIR)dest $(INSTLIBFLAGS) Concat(lib,libname.a)

3. the imake utility generates wrong formatted Makefiles. You will
   sometimes get the following error message when using make:
     make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line xx:
           Unexpected end of line seen
   A bug report (Bug Id 1089799) propose to solve this by ading some
   chars or lines to the file but I found this a painful solution: it
   does not give immediate results, either, you have got to try with
   more or less chars/lines, or it pass but crashes on another line
   in the file.
   I HAVE GOT NO SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM, if any of you found one, I
   would be very happy to know the workaround.

In conclusion, I think Sun should really improve its support of the
imake facility if they want to be part of the Open Systems adventure
as they say. I don't know how Sun's developpers are standing this
situation where some of these problems are out there for years know.

Thank you to all of you.

David

/*
 * David Wikler ,  Engineer
 *
 * Brussels Free University - Erasme Hospital
 * PET/cyclotron Unit
 * 808 route de Lennik
 * 1070 Brussels - Belgium
 *
 * Tel: (+32)2 555 47 23
 * Fax: (+32)2 555 47 01

 *
 */

Post by Paul DuBo » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Hi Solaris developers,
>I compile X contrib source code and most of them make an extensive
>use of imake to propose platform independent compiling solutions.
>So, I tried to use imake through the xmkmf command and that is where
>the problems arise !

Check the OpenWindows Support section of

http://www.primate.wisc.edu/software/imake-stuff

Quote:>In conclusion, I think Sun should really improve its support of the
>imake facility if they want to be part of the Open Systems adventure
>as they say. I don't know how Sun's developpers are standing this
>situation where some of these problems are out there for years know.

The situation is much better than it used to be, but yes, it could
still stand improvement.
--
Paul DuBois

Home page: http://www.primate.wisc.edu/people/dubois
 Software: http://www.primate.wisc.edu/software

1. X11R6.1/imake on Solaris 2.5

I've compiled (with gcc 2.7.2) the X11R6.1 distribution from
ftp.x.org. The compile went fine, and the few binaries I've tried seem
to work.
But: I'm having trouble getting imake to behave. I have a contributed
package (Offix) which has lines like

CCOPTIONS := $(CCOPTIONS) -Wall

in Imake.options and various Imakefiles. Imake passes the := to the
Makefile, and then make (either /usr/ccs/make or GNU make) gaks on it.

What's up????

Also, what's an easy way (aside from lots of links) to indicate that
Motif lives in /usr/dt/{include,lib} ?

My site.def has

#define HasGcc2 YES
#define USE_CC_E gcc -E
#define HasGcc2ForCplusplus YES

#define OSMinorVersion    5
#define OSName            SunOS 5.5

Do I need something else???

Thanks

John Harper
-----------------------------
Administrative Programmer
Scarborough College

<URL http://www.scar.utoronto.ca>

2. mylex buslogic bt-950r

3. Request Imake Configuration Files for Solaris 2.5 x86

4. Mouse wheel problem (Mandrake 7.1 + Primax Navigator)

5. FS: Solaris 2.5 Desktop (CDE) and/or Solaris 2.5 Server Packages for x86 desktops

6. Configuring sz/rz to run in 8 bits.

7. New Solaris FAQ (2.5 specifics?)

8. How to test if kernel contains network code ?

9. Motif rules in 2.5 imake?

10. Solaris 8 ifconfig (lo0) problem VS Solaris 2.5,2.6,7

11. how to install solaris 2.5 x86 to 2.5 gig WD HD

12. Solaris 2.5 & NeWSprint 2.5

13. Odd problem with Solaris 2.5, full filesystem