NIS+ and gid's

Post by Tomas Feln » Fri, 13 May 1994 00:37:58

When I add a few more groups in the group.org_dir table using admintool and
then create files somewhere with those new gid's, only the gid will show up
in a ls -l listing, and not the real name of the group, i.e.

-rwx------   2 user    25100        64 May  9 09:07 foobar

/etc/nsswitch.conf is set up as follows:

group:      files nisplus

and the permissions for the NIS+ group.org_dir table are set to world read.
To make things even more confusing, there are older entries in the NIS+
table that were set up before my time and they work perfectly well. If I
would put the new gid's in /etc/passwd everything would work fine, but then
that's not what I want considering all the clients I have. And it seems that
I get this sort of behaviour only with the group.org_dir table, not with the
others (but then I didn't test them all) ...

Does anyone have an idea what's going on here or what I am doing wrong?

Cheers
--
Tomas Felner, Inst. f. Informationssysteme, ETH Zuerich, CH-8092 Zuerich

NIS+ and gid's

Post by Henry Stilmack - JAC System Manag » Fri, 13 May 1994 05:08:23

>When I add a few more groups in the group.org_dir table using admintool and
>then create files somewhere with those new gid's, only the gid will show up
>in a ls -l listing, and not the real name of the group, i.e.

>-rwx------   2 user    25100        64 May  9 09:07 foobar

>/etc/nsswitch.conf is set up as follows:

>group:      files nisplus

>and the permissions for the NIS+ group.org_dir table are set to world read.
>To make things even more confusing, there are older entries in the NIS+
>table that were set up before my time and they work perfectly well. If I
>would put the new gid's in /etc/passwd everything would work fine, but then
>that's not what I want considering all the clients I have. And it seems that
>I get this sort of behaviour only with the group.org_dir table, not with the
>others (but then I didn't test them all) ...

>Does anyone have an idea what's going on here or what I am doing wrong?

>Cheers
>--
>Tomas Felner, Inst. f. Informationssysteme, ETH Zuerich, CH-8092 Zuerich

This should get into the FAQ at some point...

Admintool creates a group entry with a null password. Use nistbladm as follows:

nistbladm -m passwd="*" '[],group.org_dir'

to fix the problem.

---
Henry Stilmack                               )
Computing Systems Manager                    ) Perform random kindnesses
UK/Netherlands/Canada Joint Astronomy Centre )   and senseless acts of beauty
660 N. A'ohoku Place, Hilo, HI 96720         )

PGP and RIPEM keys available on servers      )

NIS+ and gid's

Post by Gottfried Merk » Sat, 14 May 1994 17:50:56

Quote:>When I add a few more groups in the group.org_dir table using admintool and
>then create files somewhere with those new gid's, only the gid will show up
>in a ls -l listing, and not the real name of the group, i.e.

>-rwx------   2 user    25100        64 May  9 09:07 foobar

There is a bug in admintool. Try:

/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d group > group.mod
(dumping the group table)

vi group.mod
(put a * between the::)

/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -m -f group.mod group
(merging the modified file into the group table)

Good luck!
Gottfried

NIS+ and gid's

Post by Wolfgang Nej » Sat, 14 May 1994 23:31:22

   Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris

   Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 08:50:56 GMT

   >When I add a few more groups in the group.org_dir table using admintool and
   >then create files somewhere with those new gid's, only the gid will show up
   >in a ls -l listing, and not the real name of the group, i.e.
   >
   >-rwx------   2 user    25100        64 May  9 09:07 foobar

   There is a bug in admintool. Try:

   /usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d group > group.mod
   (dumping the group table)

   vi group.mod
   (put a * between the::)

   /usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -m -f group.mod group
   (merging the modified file into the group table)

   Good luck!
   Gottfried

We have the same problem (plus the problem, that chgrp can only use
the decimal group number for these groups). However, when I look at
the dumped group table, all entries have *NP* as their password, the
same as groups, which display correctly as symbolic names. Does
anybody know what is wrong in this case?

Wolfgang
--

Informatik V, RWTH Aachen       fax. +49 241 8888148
Ahornstr. 55, D-52056 Aachen    tel. +49 241 8021530

1. change to new gid or new group name all files of given group name or gid

Hello,

I need to reorganize group names and gid in a server.

If possible could you send me the command line or korn shell to change
to a new group id number and new group name for all the files of a given
old group name or old gid in all the file systems.

Off course, new group name and new gid have already being defined in
/etc/group and also user have being updated to new gid in /etc/passwd.

Thank you very much,

Mario Desiderio

2. newly compiled kernel cannot find map file

3. change group name and gid for all files of given old group name or old gid

4. ACDsee

5. Normal for root to be UID 0 GID 0 rather than GID 1 ?

6. Small HD=What can I delete?

7. NIS+ NIS compatibility mode and the 'passwd' map

8. Where to find LYX Binaries for Intel Solaris 2.7 ? [NT]

9. Vulnerability with Large UID's and GID's in HP-UX 10.20 **revised**

10. UID's and GID's for News software?

11. Vulnerability with Large UID's and GID's in HP-UX 10.20

12. UID/GID = apache, but HOME='/' ... why?

13. Data CDROM and 'gid=' mount option