Solaris 10 installation fails with "no disk found".

Solaris 10 installation fails with "no disk found".

Post by John » Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:54:39

Hi, I ve just received my Dell 2850 with no-operating system on.

I m trying to get Solaris 10 x86 on it, but fails!
Please can someone help me doing this?

The procedure fails by:
No disks found.
Check to make sure disks are cabled and powered up.
Press OK to Exit.

Its while Solaris cant find the disks/Raid controller drivers.
How to get a work-around this?

Someone please help me!!!

(Ive got 2 mirrored SCSI drivers, pre-configured when orderd the hw).

(dell 2850: http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_...
)

Thank you!

Solaris 10 installation fails with "no disk found".

Post by Jonathan Cowper-Andrewe » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 01:04:09

It is likely to be because the driver for the hardware raid controller
is not supported by default.

Have you checked that your card is supported by solaris 10x86 ?

Jonathan

Solaris 10 installation fails with "no disk found".

Post by Jonathan Cowper-Andrewe » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 01:07:34

Im of the opinion that the solaris installer uses an initrd.img for the
x86 boot drivers, if you unpack the initrd included on the cd (or in
the iso) you will be able to check whether the driver exists.

If it doesnt exist, find your chip-vendors unix driver, add it into the
initrd, re-create it and replace your iso initrd with that image.

Post by Ian » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:33:32

> Hi, I ve just received my Dell 2850 with no-operating system on.

> I m trying to get Solaris 10 x86 on it, but fails!
> Please can someone help me doing this?

> The procedure fails by:
> No disks found.
> Check to make sure disks are cabled and powered up.
> Press OK to Exit.

> Its while Solaris cant find the disks/Raid controller drivers.
> How to get a work-around this?

> Someone please help me!!!

> (Ive got 2 mirrored SCSI drivers, pre-configured when orderd the hw).

Which RAID controller is fitted?

Does the controller show up if you enter the Device Configuration
Assistant (hit escape when prompted at boot)?

Ian

Post by John » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:48:10

> Which RAID controller is fitted?

> Does the controller show up if you enter the Device Configuration
> Assistant (hit escape when prompted at boot)?

> Ian

Hi Ian,

The RAID controller is PERC 4e/Di.

The controller shows up correctly when system boot and checks are 100%
completed.

Please how can I let Solaris find the RAID controller, or is there any
work around. I ve also tryed to "disable" RAID in BIOS but still cant
get Sol10 x86 to install.

Thanks again.

Post by Ian » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:08:51

>>Which RAID controller is fitted?

>>Does the controller show up if you enter the Device Configuration
>>Assistant (hit escape when prompted at boot)?

>>Ian

> Hi Ian,

> The RAID controller is PERC 4e/Di.

> The controller shows up correctly when system boot and checks are 100%
> completed.

> Please how can I let Solaris find the RAID controller, or is there any
> work around. I ve also tryed to "disable" RAID in BIOS but still cant
> get Sol10 x86 to install.

> Thanks again.

I can't remember off hand if the Adaptec versions of these are
supported.  The LSI (SC or DC) versions are.  From what you are saying,
it doesn't look like they are.

Ian