Priority Paging

Post by Ray Capozz » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 10:19:24

Should I enable priority paging on my Sun E250 running Solaris 7?  The
system has high RAM usage but low CPU usage (most of the processes are
sleeping -- sorta like my cat, they take space but do little).

I've read the docs from Sun about priority paging, but they do not offer any
'real world' comparisons.  It seems that Sun is going to make this a default
kernel option in the future.

Any insight are much appreciated.

Priority Paging

Post by Raymond Scot » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 11:42:01

You DO want to use priority paging with Solaris 7.
See http://www.sun.com/sun-on-net/performance/priority_paging.html for more
info.
With Solaris 8, things have been changed and you should not try to set priority
paging.

--
Raymond Scott

> Should I enable priority paging on my Sun E250 running Solaris 7?  The
> system has high RAM usage but low CPU usage (most of the processes are
> sleeping -- sorta like my cat, they take space but do little).

> I've read the docs from Sun about priority paging, but they do not offer any
> 'real world' comparisons.  It seems that Sun is going to make this a default
> kernel option in the future.

> Any insight are much appreciated.

Priority Paging

Post by ae » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 23:54:20

indeed priopag is embedded within the sol8 implementation.
in case of stability issues , just enable it.

andre'

Post by Mark Mentova » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 00:21:29

> indeed priopag is embedded within the sol8 implementation.

Not quite - the algorithm has changed in SunOS 5.8, it's no longer
conventional or priority paging.  Refer to
http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=content/content8 .  The
SunOS 5.8 memory architecture is better because the buffer cache for
filesystem pages is now maintained independently of the cache for other
types of pages.  High filesystem activity alone is no longer sufficient
to cause the entire system to thrash.

Quote:> in case of stability issues , just enable it.

On SunOS 5.7 or patched 5.6 or 5.5.1.  Don't enable it on 5.8.

Mark

1. Priority Paging and Solaris 8

From what I've gleaned from this news-group the /etc/system line "set
priority_paging = 1" is not required once the system is upgraded to
Solaris 8.

Is this corrrect? Why? Is priority paging default? Is a new paging
scheme implemented? Can anyone point me to more information on this
subject?

Many questions. Thanks for any help,

Tom

2. Newbie - XF86Config w/SiS 5597/5598 4Mb onboard video card in Debian potato

3. priority paging / RAM shortages

4. openBSD 3.0 - problems with RAID1

5. priority paging

6. Alternative for 'getent' when working with netgroups?

7. priority paging: right for me?

8. NE2000 Compat. Networking Problems

9. Solaris Priority Paging and Database products.

10. priority paging and Solaris 2.6

11. priority paging

12. priority paging, what is it?

13. priority paging and executable bit question