Changing IP-adrress om NIS+ root master server

Changing IP-adrress om NIS+ root master server

Post by Christoffer Schmiterl » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:44:37

My problem is that I have to change IP adress om a NIS+ root master
sever and all it's clients. (There is no replica server), anyone ever
done this?

The first idea was to first set upp a new machine with a new
IP-address make it a replica server, then promote it to root master
and dump the old one. And when the new NIS+ server is upp and running
start changing the IP-address of the client machines. (Local and in
the NIS+ tables)
But it seems like when I promote the root replica I have to make
something on each of the client machines.

regards,
Christoffer

Post by Jeffrey Baile » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 01:24:57

> My problem is that I have to change IP adress om a NIS+ root master
> sever and all it's clients. (There is no replica server), anyone ever
> done this?

Yes, read the NIS+ FAQ at:

http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/rayh/solaris/NIS+_FAQ.html

Which way you choose depends one whether you need the machines to stay
up through the process or not, whether they're physically at your
location so you can work from the console, etc.  But creating a root
replica and then promoting it to master is probably just adding
unnecessary additional steps.

If you change IPs, you'll have to reboot the clients after the new IP
info is in the hosts.org_dir table and the client's new IP is reflected
in its own /etc/inet/hosts file.

If you promote a root replica, you'll also have to run nisinit on each
client, as well as changing its IP, to point it to the new master.

Is the domain name changing as well?  Doublecheck any host entries in
netgroup.org_dir, if you're using that table, to see if they need
modified.

--
Jeff Bailey
Coordinator, Info Systems