can't open - no VTOC

Post by Dolgopolsky Igo » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hello!!!

I need help with installing Solaris2.6 x86.
My problem is that when i boot from Solaris 2.6 Device Configuration
Assistant, and trying mount root partition first time on a Solaris CD
(i tried from disk too) i see it's working and after it a message:

I don't understand what is wrong. I tried both versions of Assistant.

PLZ, help.

Thanks, Igor.

  Regards.
     Dolgopolsky Igor
     Dial Up Customers Support

Home Page: www.NetVision.net.il        Fax: 04-8550345

                  NetVision Ltd.
The No.1 Israeli Internet & Intranet Services Provider

1. can't open - no VTOC

I am not sure if I fully understand your q, but I'll assume that this is
the same problemI had.  I'm guessing that you installed Solaris 2.6 x86
to a secondary hard disk, which
means that when you boot up the machine, Solaris will try to boot from
the primary disk,
which doesn't contain Solaris.  After you get the "can't open-no VTOC"
message, hit f2
to detect devices.  At some point, a list of available devices
(including CD rom and your NIC
adapter) will be listed.  Here you select the correct drive and hit f2
and the boot works fine.
You can tell Configuration Assistant to always boot from the secondary
drive by default.
When the list of available devices appears, select BOOT TASKS (I think).
 Here you can
specify the default boot device and thereby eliminate the no vtoc
message.

jc

2. Why so little linux viruses...?

3. Changing Serial Nos using 'brand'

4. Nonblocking Connects on AIX -> NT

5. It's not bad canned meat...

6. Install RAM

7. XWindows and Viper 770

8. OpenWin Filemgr: 'cannot open file: too many files open' ?

9. Bad magic number / Can't open disk label package / Can't open boot device

10. couldn't boot after restore, no vtoc?

11. What's this VTOC thing?

12. HELP: couldn't boot after restore, no vtoc