SunFire-V210 and disk size...

Post by FiLH » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:54:55

Hello,

Does somebody knows if all SunFire V210 including old ones support all
disk size. Our has been delivered with two 36Gb disks, but it seems
that recent ones have 72Gb disks and can support 144Gb ones.

We have tried to insert a recent 72Gb disk and we have had some
problems (disk disapeard after a while on that computer, but seems to
work ok on a more recent sun server).

Thanks in advance.

FiLH

--
     FiLH photography. A taste of freedom in a conventional world.

     FAQ fr.rec.photo : http://frp.parisv.com/
     Sitafoto la photo a Bordeaux : http://sitafoto.free.fr/

SunFire-V210 and disk size...

Post by Dan Foste » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:18:09

> Does somebody knows if all SunFire V210 including old ones support all
> disk size. Our has been delivered with two 36Gb disks, but it seems
> that recent ones have 72Gb disks and can support 144Gb ones.

> We have tried to insert a recent 72Gb disk and we have had some
> problems (disk disapeard after a while on that computer, but seems to
> work ok on a more recent sun server).

"Disappeared after a while"? Can you elaborate on that?

When you do 'iostat -En', the drive no longer appears? Just... *poof*?

Did Solaris write any messages about it to the console or a log file?

Your problem sounds like either you're downrev on OBP firmware or OS
patches.

-Dan

SunFire-V210 and disk size...

Post by Michael Laajane » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 01:37:28

HI,

> Hello,

> Does somebody knows if all SunFire V210 including old ones support all
> disk size. Our has been delivered with two 36Gb disks, but it seems
> that recent ones have 72Gb disks and can support 144Gb ones.

I don't have a V210 but I would be very surprised if a SCSI disk dit not
work in the V210 of any size 300GB to!

Quote:> We have tried to insert a recent 72Gb disk and we have had some
> problems (disk disapeard after a while on that computer, but seems to
> work ok on a more recent sun server).

I would try that again and verify exactly what is going on! Is the drive
new and working properly 100%?

/michael

SunFire-V210 and disk size...

Post by FiLH » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 01:13:43

> > Does somebody knows if all SunFire V210 including old ones support all
> > disk size. Our has been delivered with two 36Gb disks, but it seems
> > that recent ones have 72Gb disks and can support 144Gb ones.

> > We have tried to insert a recent 72Gb disk and we have had some
> > problems (disk disapeard after a while on that computer, but seems to
> > work ok on a more recent sun server).

> "Disappeared after a while"? Can you elaborate on that?

There has been some scsi errors, than when doing a format there was no
disk found on the target : the first disk was ok, the second place
mentionned a disk but with < no disk>

 > When you do 'iostat -En', the drive no longer appears? Just... *poof*?
As it is a prod server we have removed the disk.
But we did a boot -r and the disk was not seen.
Btw the disk was not directly mounted but as a raid1 slice.

THe disk has been mounted back to a more recent v240 server and seems
to work fine (made some newfs commands, tared 4Gb of data...).

Quote:> Did Solaris write any messages about it to the console or a log file?

 Jan 11 10:54:41 plan genunix: [ID 408822 kern.info] NOTICE: glm0: fault detected in device; service still\
 available
Jan 11 10:54:41 plan genunix: [ID 611667 kern.info] NOTICE: glm0: Connected command timeout for Target 1.\
0
Jan 11 10:54:41 plan glm: [ID 280919 kern.warning] WARNING: ID[SUNWpd.glm.cmd_timeout.6017]

Jan 11 10:54:41 plan    Target 1 disabled wide SCSI mode
Jan 11 10:54:41 plan glm: [ID 681974 kern.warning] WARNING: ID[SUNWpd.glm.sync_wide_backoff.6012]

Jan 11 10:54:41 plan    Target 1 reverting to async. mode
Jan 11 10:54:41 plan glm: [ID 802533 kern.warning] WARNING: ID[SUNWpd.glm.sync_wide_backoff.6013]

Jan 11 10:54:41 plan    got SCSI bus reset
Jan 11 10:54:41 plan genunix: [ID 408822 kern.info] NOTICE: glm0: fault detected in device; service still\
 available
Jan 11 10:54:41 plan genunix: [ID 611667 kern.info] NOTICE: glm0: got SCSI bus reset

Jan 11 10:54:41 plan    SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying command

Jan 11 10:54:41 plan    SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying command

Jan 11 10:54:41 plan    SCSI transport failed: reason 'timeout': retrying command

Jan 11 10:54:44 plan    Resetting scsi bus, got incorrect phase from (1,0)

Quote:> Your problem sounds like either you're downrev on OBP firmware or OS
> patches.

What do you mean ?

FiLH

--

Post by Dan Foste » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 02:29:15

>> Your problem sounds like either you're downrev on OBP firmware or OS
>> patches.

> What do you mean ?

Oh, I thought it was related to support for the drive.

But from your updated description, it sounds like the drive was bad.

-Dan

SunFire-V210 and disk size...

Post by medii » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 06:57:29

The disk could be bad.

See if you have hardware errors with
# iostat -En

Every once in a while I will get a bad one out of the box.

SunFire-V210 and disk size...

Post by FiLH » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:21:45

> >> Your problem sounds like either you're downrev on OBP firmware or OS
> >> patches.

> > What do you mean ?

> Oh, I thought it was related to support for the drive.

> But from your updated description, it sounds like the drive was bad.

The problem is that it has worked perfectly this night (used as a
cache device for a backup system (no prod backup, just some test one).

FiLH

--

Post by Jeroen Bess » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:17:58

>>> Does somebody knows if all SunFire V210 including old ones support all
>>> disk size. Our has been delivered with two 36Gb disks, but it seems
>>> that recent ones have 72Gb disks and can support 144Gb ones.

>>> We have tried to insert a recent 72Gb disk and we have had some
>>> problems (disk disapeard after a while on that computer, but seems to
>>> work ok on a more recent sun server).
>> "Disappeared after a while"? Can you elaborate on that?

> There has been some scsi errors, than when doing a format there was no
> disk found on the target : the first disk was ok, the second place
> mentionned a disk but with < no disk>

>  > When you do 'iostat -En', the drive no longer appears? Just... *poof*?
> As it is a prod server we have removed the disk.
> But we did a boot -r and the disk was not seen.
> Btw the disk was not directly mounted but as a raid1 slice.

> THe disk has been mounted back to a more recent v240 server and seems
> to work fine (made some newfs commands, tared 4Gb of data...).

>> Did Solaris write any messages about it to the console or a log file?

>  Jan 11 10:54:41 plan genunix: [ID 408822 kern.info] NOTICE: glm0: fault detected in device; service still\
>  available
> Jan 11 10:54:41 plan genunix: [ID 611667 kern.info] NOTICE: glm0: Connected command timeout for Target 1.\
> 0
> Jan 11 10:54:41 plan glm: [ID 280919 kern.warning] WARNING: ID[SUNWpd.glm.cmd_timeout.6017]

> Jan 11 10:54:41 plan    Target 1 disabled wide SCSI mode
> Jan 11 10:54:41 plan glm: [ID 681974 kern.warning] WARNING: ID[SUNWpd.glm.sync_wide_backoff.6012]

> Jan 11 10:54:41 plan    Target 1 reverting to async. mode
> Jan 11 10:54:41 plan glm: [ID 802533 kern.warning] WARNING: ID[SUNWpd.glm.sync_wide_backoff.6013]

> Jan 11 10:54:41 plan    got SCSI bus reset
> Jan 11 10:54:41 plan genunix: [ID 408822 kern.info] NOTICE: glm0: fault detected in device; service still\
>  available
> Jan 11 10:54:41 plan genunix: [ID 611667 kern.info] NOTICE: glm0: got SCSI bus reset

> Jan 11 10:54:41 plan    SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying command

> Jan 11 10:54:41 plan    SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying command

> Jan 11 10:54:41 plan    SCSI transport failed: reason 'timeout': retrying command

> Jan 11 10:54:44 plan    Resetting scsi bus, got incorrect phase from (1,0)

Seems almost as if it wasn't fitted right. Maybe, in a next try, push it
a little harder, so the connector is well fitted.

--
Best regards,
Jeroen Besse

SunFire-V210 and disk size...

Post by FiLH » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:28:13

> Seems almost as if it wasn't fitted right. Maybe, in a next try, push
> it a little harder, so the connector is well fitted.

In fact we have removed it and inserted it again. But then even after
reboot with -r the disk was not seen.
But that's something we have considered and not rejected. Thanks.

FilH
--

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:32:01

>> Seems almost as if it wasn't fitted right. Maybe, in a next try, push
>> it a little harder, so the connector is well fitted.
>In fact we have removed it and inserted it again. But then even after
>reboot with -r the disk was not seen.
>But that's something we have considered and not rejected. Thanks.

We had a broken disk recently which was visible for a bit after a power
cycle and then went off-line; after a few more tries it never showed
up; the controller appeared to have kicked it.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

SunFire-V210 and disk size...

Post by Thomas Schu » Sat, 14 Jan 2006 01:00:45

>> > What do you mean ?

>> Oh, I thought it was related to support for the drive.

>> But from your updated description, it sounds like the drive was bad.

>The problem is that it has worked perfectly this night (used as a
>cache device for a backup system (no prod backup, just some test one).

It does sound like a hardware problem.  Possibly one of the cables was
not firmly seated or otherwise was not making a good connection.  The
drive worked while all of the signals were connected and stopped working
when the connection was broken.  Another possibility the that the disk
itself has an intermittent failure.  You will have to see if it keeps
working.

>FiLH

>--
>     FiLH photography. A taste of freedom in a conventional world.

>     FAQ fr.rec.photo : http://frp.parisv.com/
>     Sitafoto la photo a Bordeaux : http://sitafoto.free.fr/

--
Tom Schulz