corrupt label - wrong magic number

Post by greg w. luf » Thu, 12 Sep 1996 04:00:00

When I boot up one of our Solaris 5.3 machines is says that one of the
disks has a "corrupt label - wrong magic number". This is a newly
attached disk that needs to be formated. I believed I would be able to
see it with format but it does not show up. Any insights would be
helpful.

G.

-
Greg Luft                    Phone: (403) 234-5570

500 5th Ave
Calgary Alberta

Post by D. Ro » Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: When I boot up one of our Solaris 5.3 machines is says that one of the
: disks has a "corrupt label - wrong magic number". This is a newly
: attached disk that needs to be formated. I believed I would be able to
: see it with format but it does not show up. Any insights would be
: helpful.
:
You have to do a reconfiguration boot. At the boot prompt type
boot -r
Alternatively, you can simulate the reconfiguration with the
following commands:
drvconfig (rebuilds /devices directory)
devlinks (standard /dev entries)
disks (/dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk entries)
tapes (tape devices)
audlinks (for ISDN and audio devices)

/usr/ucb/ucblinks (for SunOS 4 compatibility device names)

So if you just need the device entries for your harddisk, simply type
% drvconfig; disks

You can now run format and label the disk.

Daniel

1. Corrupt Label : Wrong Magic Number

Hi,
   My problem is that I have a 9.1G seagate drive on a Ultra 10 is and
it keeps saying ...

# fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2
** /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2
BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
USE AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION;
eg. fsck [-F ufs] -o b=# [special ...]
where # is the alternate super block. SEE fsck_ufs(1M).

and I can't run the format command in the format program because it says
I must use "Manufacturer supplied Format utility" which I don't have and
don't know how to get.  But I have tried the following ...

1. I have tried to use format to create a new label and  and still
"corrupt label : wrong magic number"  error.
AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c0t0d0 <ST39120A cyl 17660 alt 2 hd 16 sec 63>

Specify disk (enter its number): 0
selecting c0t0d0
No defect list found
[disk formatted, no defect list found]
Warning: Current Disk has mounted partitions.

FORMAT MENU:
        disk       - select a disk
        type       - select (define) a disk type
        partition  - select (define) a partition table
        current    - describe the current disk
        format     - format and analyze the disk
        repair     - repair a defective sector
        show       - translate a disk address
        label      - write label to the disk
        analyze    - surface analysis
        defect     - defect list management
        backup     - search for backup labels
        verify     - read and display labels
        save       - save new disk/partition definitions
        volname    - set 8-character volume name
        !<cmd>     - execute <cmd>, then return
        quit
format> label
Ready to label disk, continue? y

format> save
Saving new disk and partition definitions
Enter file name["./format.dat"]:
format>

2. I have tried restore a backup label and still "corrupt label  : wrong
magic number"  error.

3. I have also tried "fsck -o b=32"  and and still "corrupt label :
wrong magic number"  error.

  data.vcf
< 1K Download

2. slack -- can't login after the installation, help needed!

3. HELP! Corrupt label - wrong magic number

4. adding new memory

5. CORRUPT LABEL -WRONG MAGIC NUMBER

6. Why is UNIX in capitals?

7. HELP! Corrupt label - Wrong magic number

8. Help: Problems with Enterprise server 2.01 and protected areas

9. corrupt label - wrong magic number

10. Corrupted Label: Wrong Magic Number

11. corrupt label -- wrong magic number

12. Harddisk-Problem: corrupt label - wrong magic number

13. Corrupt label: bad magic number - sd.so(0,0,0)/vmunix: can not open