disk space occupied by jumbo patch cluster?

disk space occupied by jumbo patch cluster?

Post by Duke » Sat, 24 May 2003 13:44:05

any idea how much disk space does the jumbo patch cluster take up when applied.

disk space occupied by jumbo patch cluster?

Post by Kent Smit » Sat, 24 May 2003 22:12:33

Quote:>any idea how much disk space does the jumbo patch cluster take up when applied.

The CLUSTER_README file should give you some idea.  From the 2.6 Jumbo
I applied last December:

IMPORTANT NOTES AND WARNINGS:
-----------------------------

SYSTEMS WITH LIMITED DISK SPACE SHOULD *NOT* INSTALL PATCHES:  With or
without using the save option, the patch installation process will
still require some amount of disk space for installation and
administrative tasks in the /, /usr, /var, or /opt directories where
patches are typically installed.  The exact amount of space will
depend on the machine's architecture, software packages already
installed, and the difference in the patched objects size.  To be
safe, it is not recommended that a patch cluster be installed on a
system with less than 10 MBytes of available space in each of these
directories. Running out of disk space during installation may result
in only partially loaded patches.  Be sure a recent full system backup
is available in case a problem occurs, and check to be sure adequate
disk space is available before installing the patch cluster.

--Kent
=================================
Kent Smith * IPSO Incorporated
Business * Technology * Solutions
Financial Services and Accounting Systems Consulting

http://www.ipsoinc.com

1. disk perf: multiple mode IDE-patches + cluster patches ?

I'm running a stable Linux 1.0.9. I have two quantum IDE drives (350 and 250
mb) and have always felt that disk i/o seems occupy a lot of system  time
(disproportionate even, compared to dos/win ) -- a *definite* performance hit.
So I've been considering options.

Two that come up regularly are the multiple mode IDE Performance Enhancements
and the cluster patches which also seem to improve disk performance...

Thing is, I know little about the first (the README) and nothing about the
second. So what I'm after is some knowledgeable explanation -- an overview --
if anyone cares to offer it. Or a pointer to something. Thanks.

--
+- Stephen Benson -+- -+- -+- -+- -+- -+- Linux 1.0.9 -+- -+- XFree86 2.1.1 -+

                                       *.
+- -+- -+- -+- -+- -+- "a microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan...." -+- -+

2. trying to connect to a windows remote access server

3. What should be the total disk space required by SUNWall cluster in solaris 8

4. HELP WITH DD

5. Old revs of jumbo patches - need to keep in /var/sadm/patch?

6. calling utssys()

7. Displaying space occupied by directories?

8. How is more faster Socket model?

9. Space occupied....

10. Deleted files still occupies space

11. space occupied by a symlink?

12. can't reclaim space occupied by lilo

13. Recommended patch cluster - patch not applied