2.6 x86 CD-ROM detection problem

Post by Wanamak » Mon, 13 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I'm in the process of reinstalling Solaris 2.6 x86 on my machine.  When I first
installed it, I used my CD-R drive to install Solaris.  But all I have is my 6x
NEC IDE CD-ROM drive now.  When Solaris asks for a device to install Solaris
from, it doesn't see my CD-ROM drive.  I have the 1.6gb EIDE harddrive as the
primary master and the IDE CD-ROM drive as the primary slave.  I checked the
jumper settings and all are correct.

If anyone can give me a solution or a URL, I'd greatly appreciate it.

TIA,
Dave

**Remove NOSPAM to reply via e-mail**

1. IDE CD-ROM problem Solaris 2.6/x86

I received my free copy of Solaris 2.6 X86 this week and it installed
no problem :-).

However, I have a problem with the CD-ROM. It works fine if I boot
Solaris with a CD already in the drive, but if I insert a new CD in
the drive it will not read the disc. It keeps trying but won't do it.
It will not open the disc or allow me to eject it or anything. The
only way I can regain access to the CD drive is to re-boot.

My system is as follows :

AMD K6/2-300 in a FIC VA-503+ motherboard running at 66Mhz bus speed
with 128Mb SIMM EDO RAM.

1st HD = Quantum fireball 6.4Gb EIDE as primary master
2nd HD = IBM 8.4 GB EIDE as primary slave
3rd HD = Fujitsu 2GB EIDE as secondary master
CD-ROM = Goldstar IDE as secondary slave

I have Windows 98 and NT4.0 taking up all of the 1st HD
I have 4 partitions on the 2nd HD with SUSE 5.3 Linux on the 1st 3GB
parition, Solaris on the 2nd 3GB partition, 1 extended partition of
2GB with 2 logical drives of 1GB FAT16 and 1GB NTFS
I have 1NTFS, 1 Linux swap and 1 Linux partition on the 3rd HD

I boot Solaris using the NT bootloader and it boots fine as do all the
other operating systems.

Solaris works OK except for the problem with changing CDs. I use CDE
as my working environment.

Does anyone have any suggestions. It's a pain having to re-boot to
change CDs.

Cheers,

Sean Akers.

2. Alcatel Cat-5 cable question...

3. Solaris 2.6 x86, Dell Dimension XPS D300, UltraDMA, and Toshiba 24x CD-ROM

4. 3Com509 on a Compaq Prolinea

5. 12/24x IDE CD-ROM drives for Solaris-x86 2.6?

6. Why so many *BSD's ?

7. CD-ROM problems with Solaris 2.6

8. Apache w/ PHP and SSL: w/ PHP OK - w/out PHP NOK

9. Problems booting off CD-ROM for 2.6 on Pentium

10. Geode MediaGX CD-ROM detection problem

11. Another ATAPI CD-Rom Detection Problem

12. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)

13. Solaris 2.6 doesn't detect SCSI CD-ROM