my printd cache gets bigger and bigger all time

my printd cache gets bigger and bigger all time

Post by Thomas Wank » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:51:30

and I dont know how to stop it. I use Solaris 8 on a Sparc machine.
When I kill it, it starts from around 1MB but after an hour or so, I
have 100 MB. Is this normal?

Thomas

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:50:47

>and I dont know how to stop it. I use Solaris 8 on a Sparc machine.
>When I kill it, it starts from around 1MB but after an hour or so, I
>have 100 MB. Is this normal?

No.  There are some print jobs that it can't deliver to the
print server(s).  The short-term solution would be to delete
the print jobs that are undeliverable.

Kill off all the printd processes, and any lp processes that are
running in the background (the parent process is 1).  Then cd to
/var/spool/print and delete all the cf*, df*, and xf* files.

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright