need general help with setting paths & man paths for apps

need general help with setting paths & man paths for apps

Post by solaris newbi » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:58:11

Hello, basically what I know so far (which is limited ) is that I put in the
path to installed apps in my path through editing the /etc/default/login
script.

also when i installed gcc I added the installed app to my path, but after
compiling there was a share folder and a man folder, I take it the man
folder consists of the man pages so how do I add them to my path as in the
man path also when installing apps I noticed some references to enviroment
variables such as LD_LIBRARY_PATH.... How do I set these variables to there
corresponding applications (permanantly).

Any advice on the enviroment variables or paths and what they link to and
when(e.g I have been putting the .bin directorys in my path in mt
/etc/default/login script) whould be appreciated.

regards
David

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:47:47

> Hello, basically what I know so far (which is limited ) is that I put in the
> path to installed apps in my path through editing the /etc/default/login
> script.

That is one way, but a (perhaps) beter way would be to modify
PATH in individual user's .profile.

Quote:> also when i installed gcc I added the installed app to my path, but after
> compiling there was a share folder and a man folder, I take it the man

They're not folders, they're directories.

Quote:> folder consists of the man pages so how do I add them to my path as in the
> man path also when installing apps I noticed some references to enviroment

The MANPATH environment variable tells the man command where
to search for man pages.

Quote:> variables such as LD_LIBRARY_PATH.... How do I set these variables to there
> corresponding applications (permanantly).

You'll need to recompile those broken apps using the -R flag.
Using LD_RUN_PATH is not recommended practise, unless you have
no other alternative.

Quote:> Any advice on the enviroment variables or paths and what they link to and
> when(e.g I have been putting the .bin directorys in my path in mt
> /etc/default/login script) whould be appreciated.

As a rule, I wouldn't touch the system supplied defaults.
Instead, put them in individual user's .profile or .kshrc
(or other file depending on what shell they use).

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

1. set path = "$path" hoses path in tcsh -- why???

All:

  % echo $path
  /usr/local/bin /usr/pubsw/bin /usr/bin ...
  % ls
  [... etc ... it works]
  % set path = "$path"   *** What the hell happens here??? ***
  % echo $path
  /usr/local/bin /usr/pubsw/bin /usr/bin ... looks the same
  % ls
  ls: Command not found.

This is just a particularly egregious illustration of the problem. In
general, if I try to do something like this:

  % set savedPath = "$path"  # Save current path
  % set path = "$savedPath"  # Restore saved path

it doesn't work. The path *looks* the same, but the shell can't find
anything. Recall that the shell variable path and the environment
variable PATH are linked, so setting one automatically sets the other
also. Some unexpected feature of list interpolation perhaps? Bug or
feature, I call it a pain...

Andrew Duncan

2. Solaris 2.5, x86, cancelation of cond_wait will not unlock mutex

3. How do I add man pages to man path for new app

4. bind 4.9.3beta

5. add in the PATH a path if not present in the PATH

6. Adaptec 2825 and Linux 1.2.13 ?

7. ksh: add path to $PATH only when ot yet in $PATH

8. Kernel panic after ufsdump

9. zsh's 'typeset -U path' wipes out path/PATH

10. PATH=$(getconf PATH), but PATH for getconf?

11. How to expand paths in $PATH like "~/bin" to full path?

12. PATH set by "rsh localhost echo \$PATH"

13. Need help with setting correct path for GTK 1.2.9