sunsoft printer software sol2.5

Post by Mark Bieniuli » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

printing and printer management on solaris 2.4 was bad enough
now sunsoft printer software is supposed to make it easy.
obviously nobody tried it!

we have several printers configured with the lp print service
as remote printers.  they are attached to bsd type network print
server boxes.  configuring with admintool in sol2.4 allowed us
to set the remote printer as a type ps and contents postscript.
thus any ascii file sent to that que is filtered.

now comes sunsoft printer software.  there's no option in the
solstice admin printer manager to set the type or context.

setting the context and type with lpset does very little.

is there some magical way of making this work!

users are continuosly fustrated by poor printing on solaris machines.
this cetainly is not helping the cause!

mark

Post by Jim Dav » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

:
:we have several printers configured with the lp print service
:as remote printers.  they are attached to bsd type network print
:server boxes.  configuring with admintool in sol2.4 allowed us
:to set the remote printer as a type ps and contents postscript.
:thus any ascii file sent to that que is filtered.
:
:now comes sunsoft printer software.  there's no option in the
:solstice admin printer manager to set the type or context.
:
:setting the context and type with lpset does very little.
:
:is there some magical way of making this work!

I don't think so.  If I understand the print clients correctly, they
just shovel data to a print server.  Filtering, if it happens, happens
on the print server.  Under the old System V printing setup,
everything was spooled to local disk, and could run through filters on
the local side as a result.  In other words,

pre-print client:

lp -> spool to /var/spool/*, munge with /etc/lp/* -> The Net -> print server

print client:

lp -> The Net -> print server

(or

lp -> spool to /var/spool/print iff server is down -> The Net -> print server)

If you need ASCII-PostScript conversion on the client side, you can
run the input through postprint(1) or a dozen similar programs people
have written over the years.  You might also be able to have your
printer do the conversion for you; look at lineprinter.ps on Adobe's
ftp site.

While you apparently lose filtering hooks on the client side, you get
a much simpler path for data to get to the printer, and a _vastly_
simpler printer configuration!  So while there definitely are some
bugs in the current print client stuff (segfaulting lpq, sometimes
printd doesn't resend spooled stuff) this is a much more promising
approach than the bizarre bog of System V goo Sun has used for client
printing.

:users are continuosly fustrated by poor printing on solaris machines.

No argument there.  But I think the print client approach is much more
likely to solve that than Even More jumbo lp patches, at least after
another revision or two of the software.

I've found I have to rely on truss as a debugging tool for the old
printer setup (like when /var/spool/lp/fifos/listen{S5,BSD} suddenly
decided they preferred life as ordinary files) and that just plain
sucks.
--
Jim Davis

Post by Jeff Giacob » Fri, 08 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>:
>:now comes sunsoft printer software.  there's no option in the
>:solstice admin printer manager to set the type or context.
>While you apparently lose filtering hooks on the client side, you get
>a much simpler path for data to get to the printer, and a _vastly_
>simpler printer configuration!  So while there definitely are some
>bugs in the current print client stuff (segfaulting lpq, sometimes
>printd doesn't resend spooled stuff) this is a much more promising
>approach than the bizarre bog of System V goo Sun has used for client
>printing.

Agreed!  However, the subject of SunSoft Print Client brings to mind a
couple of questions:

Does anyone out there (this means you, Sun! :-)  ) know how the current
SunSoft Print Client system fits in to the "real soon now" Xerox/DEC/Sun
Printxchange scenario?

Will there be new client side printing software when Printxchange sees
the light of day, or will SSPrint Client somehow be integrated into that
environment.

In other words, is SunSoft Print Client just a stop-gap measure until
Printxchange arrives??

..And what about the SUNprint printing software bundled with the new
SPARCprinter E series?  How does *that* software fit into the big
printing picture?

BTW: I for one am keeping all fingers and toes crossed in hopes that
Printxchange really delivers on its promise of a robust network printing
architecture that will (and I quote) "...take the pain and mystery out of
printing".  I just hope Sun can settle on one grand-unifying printing
system for solaris print clients and print servers, so users aren't faced
with 6 semi-functional and semi-compatible systems:

 1) SVR4 lp    (die! die! die! .....sorry, couldn't help it)
 2) BSD lpr
 3) SunSoft Print Client
 4) SUNprint
 5) NeWSPrint
 6) Printxchange

        "There's such a fine line between clever and stupid"
                                                -David St. Hubbins

1. Sunsoft Print Client .printers and /etc/printers.conf priority

When using NIS for distributing printer servers, what has top priority,
$HOME/.printers, /etc/printers.conf or the NIS settings?

Also, does anyone have a list of pitfalls or recomendations regarding
setting up NIS for distributing print server names?

Any help appreciated,
Scott

2. general protection: 0000

3. New Software from SunSoft

4. X-Windows for SCO

5. SunSoft software packaging

6. Source .profile and read .Xdefaults on startup?

7. New software from SunSoft

8. ncftpd with AIX 4.2

9. SunSoft PrintClient with lpd capable printers

10. sunsoft print client & printer classes

11. telnet no longer works well after sol2.4 to sol2.5.1 upgrade

12. Moving a disk from Sol2.3 to Sol2.4 : will it work ?