mmap causes kernel panic in Solaris 2.6 and 2.7

mmap causes kernel panic in Solaris 2.6 and 2.7

Post by Bill Diete » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

A program I have written always causes the following kernel panic under
Solaris 2.6 or Solaris 2.7:

panic: fail to lock: ptbl 0xf59a2a38 flag 0x4 as 0xf5915650 va
0xf0000000 level 2 mtx 0xf026b7f4 ret 1

The panic occurs when the program tries to access some memory it has
mapped into the program's address space using mmap.  The program works
with no problems under Solaris 2.5.1.

My program is a bit unusual.  I am trying to implement checkpointing for
multithreaded programs as a user-level library.  The program is trying
to recover from a checkpoint by mapping its address space from a
checkpoint file.  The particular segment that is causing the problem is
the stack segment.  I can run the program in the de* and watch the
stack segment get mapped.  In the de* I can dump the beginning of
the stack segment, but if I dump memory further on in the stack the
machine panics and reboots.

All my code is user level, so I don't see why the machine should
reboot.  I have been primarily trying to debug this on Solaris 2.6, but
I tried it on 2.7 and it failed there too.  The program can recover its
state with no problem on Solaris 2.5.1.

Does anyone know why this panic happens or how to fix it?

Thanks,
Bill.

1. Jumpstart for Solaris 2.5.1 versus Solaris 2.6, 2.7, 2.8

Hi,

I've already made the setup of Solaris 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8 machines on my
2.6 Jumpstart server but I meet with big problems for Solaris 2.5.1 ....

For Solaris 2.6 and higher, I'm using the sysidcfg file in particular to
set the locale and the terminal variables, but for 2.5.1, this file
doesn't exist ...
So for the moment, I'm trying to set the locale using NIS maps (I've set
exactly the NIS config as explained in the Info Docs concerning
Jumpstart) but 2 minutes after the boot net - install, the client is
asking for the language ....
Do you have an idea ? (and if you found a tip also the terminal, feel
free to give it to me ....)

Thanks in advance,

Bye.

Pierre-Yves Thillier
INFINEON Technologies.

2. DAO recording using memorex 2216 drive

3. Solaris 2.6 is the last version...heres Solaris 2.7!

5. Netra T1, Solaris 2.6 & 2.8, Jumpstart from Solaris 2.7

6. Sb 16 ASP Interrupt?

7. Solaris 2.6/2.7 tr0 interface - How?

8. jail setup

9. Odd DNS behavior in Solaris 2.6 2.7

10. Problem with new () on Solaris 2.6/2.7

11. tcsh with setuid on Solaris 2.6/2.7

12. market share of solaris versions (2.6 vs. 2.7 vs. 8)

13. MAC address assignment on Ethernet cards (Solaris 2.6 & 2.7)