Ultra 60 cannot find scsi devices after doing a jumpstart install

Ultra 60 cannot find scsi devices after doing a jumpstart install

Post by hungsem.. » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 10:19:41

Hi all,

  Need your expert assistance for this problem.
I jumpstarted a Ultra 60 SCSI server, and it seems not be able to find
any scsi devices after the installations.  (Solaris 2.6)  It basically
boots up, trys to do a fsck on /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0, and complains that
it can't "stat" the device and boots me in single user mode.  Which is
only a "read-only" filesystem. I do a "format" and it can't find any
disks. So something is screwy with the /dev and /devices file.  See
below

I added the following to my post-install (rules - finish scripts) on
my jumpstart server.

 rm /a/dev/dsk/c* /a/dev/rdsk/c*
                /usr/sbin/drvconfig -r /a/devices -p
/a/etc/path_to_inst
                /usr/sbin/devlinks -r /a
                /usr/sbin/disks -r /a
                /usr/sbin/tapes -r /a
                /usr/sbin/ports -r /a
                /usr/sbin/audlinks -r /a

This should re-create all the scsi devices for me. I used the devfsadm
utility with a Solaris 8 install for an Ultra 60 and it works find.
Any suggestions here?

Ultra 60 cannot find scsi devices after doing a jumpstart install

Post by news.videotro » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 11:02:34

Have you try to probe_scsi_all from the ok prompt to see if you can
detect the scsi device.

For this you need to "setenv autoboot? false", then do "probe_scsi_all"
It should detect all you scsi devices. When done you have to setenv
the autoboot? to true  "setenv autoboot? true".

If the Ultra60 detect the Hardrive do a boot -r. If it kick you back in
single user mode try to do "fsck -y" if this doen't work you may have
to reload it again ?.

Quote:> Hi all,

>   Need your expert assistance for this problem.
> I jumpstarted a Ultra 60 SCSI server, and it seems not be able to find
> any scsi devices after the installations.  (Solaris 2.6)  It basically
> boots up, trys to do a fsck on /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0, and complains that
> it can't "stat" the device and boots me in single user mode.  Which is
> only a "read-only" filesystem. I do a "format" and it can't find any
> disks. So something is screwy with the /dev and /devices file.  See
> below

> I added the following to my post-install (rules - finish scripts) on
> my jumpstart server.

>  rm /a/dev/dsk/c* /a/dev/rdsk/c*
>                 /usr/sbin/drvconfig -r /a/devices -p
> /a/etc/path_to_inst
>                 /usr/sbin/devlinks -r /a
>                 /usr/sbin/disks -r /a
>                 /usr/sbin/tapes -r /a
>                 /usr/sbin/ports -r /a
>                 /usr/sbin/audlinks -r /a

> This should re-create all the scsi devices for me. I used the devfsadm
> utility with a Solaris 8 install for an Ultra 60 and it works find.
> Any suggestions here?

Ultra 60 cannot find scsi devices after doing a jumpstart install

Post by Dan » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 13:34:15

What is the speed of your system? I was told once that Solaris 2.6
had trouble in the install with systems faster than 400 Mhz.
I usually slowed my machines down for the install then kicked them
back up to speed after I was done.  Don't know if this will help.