SHM** and SEM** kernel parameters in Sol2.4 - HOW ?

SHM** and SEM** kernel parameters in Sol2.4 - HOW ?

Post by Rashid Karimo » Wed, 29 Mar 1995 09:49:41

        Hi there folx.

        I need to change few kernel [arameters in Sol.2.4 -
        namely SHMMAX , SEM*** and few others.
        I tried just to change /etc/system - adding strings like
        set shmmax = 8000000
        and alike -
        but this didn't work - the kernel complained about undefined
        variables.
        Probably I should provide some kernel module name before
        parameters , but I don't know :(
        I don;t have a Sol Adm. Answer Book - so any input , esp.
        via E-mail will be greatly appreciated :))

--

====
SY

Post by Simon Lockha » Wed, 29 Mar 1995 18:09:18

>    I need to change few kernel [arameters in Sol.2.4 -
>    namely SHMMAX , SEM*** and few others.
>    I tried just to change /etc/system - adding strings like
>    set shmmax = 8000000
>    and alike -
>    but this didn't work - the kernel complained about undefined
>    variables.
>    Probably I should provide some kernel module name before
>    parameters , but I don't know :(

We have the following in our /etc/system:

* Shared memory parameters for ORACLE
*
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=268435456
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=256
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=100

* Semaphores parameters set for ORACLE
*
set semsys:seminfo_semmap=256
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=4096
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=4096
set semsys:seminfo_semmnu=4096
set semsys:seminfo_semume=64

I think this should help....

Simon
--

Technical Services      |
British Gas Service     |

1. Socket/SHM/Sem Ids and child processes

        I have the following situation:  I am responsible for a particular
TLCSC of a software system, which will be composed of several (9, actually)
processes.  There will be one large SHM area, common to all CSCs, and I
intend to have a SHM area local to my own CSC.  There is one process which
controls the others within my CSC, and it is invoked by the highest-level CSC
in the system.

        Okay.  If the main process of my CSC shmgets the id of the global
area, and semgets a semaphore used within my CSC, and then forks/execs to create
the other processes within my CSC, is it safe for me to place those ids within
the local SHM area?  Are these ids the same regardless of which process does
a 'get with a particular key?

        Empirically, I've found this to be true, however I can vaguely recall
reading somewhere (I think it was something on the IBMLink network) to the
effect that this is a Bad Thing.  Anyone know for sure?

        Thanx.

        Mitch

2. Trex compilation

3. System V shm/sem calls under Mach

4. Internal ls mode in ftpd

5. POSIX shm, sem & aio

6. manage a lot of port numbers for a colony of servers

7. How to get HP-UX10.01 kernel parameter and RedHat Linux6.2 kernel parameter ?

8. 2.4.3-pre3+ sound distortion

9. HELP: determining current values of SHM parameters

10. ulimit parameter mapping to kernel parameters

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. shm broken in recent (.99pre) kernels?

13. SHM and kernel 2.3.5x