virus scanning software for file servers?

virus scanning software for file servers?

Post by fnor » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 05:49:16

My company runs an ASP which allows end-users to upload images, executables,
swf files, etc.

We need to be able to scan all of this media for viruses, but I'm not
finding any products to do so. It seems that since there isn't a huge
problem with Unix viruses, most of the major vendors have given up on such
software as a revenue stream. The issue here is win32 viruses on Solaris
machines which will be distributed to end-user win32 clients.

Can anyone recommend a few products to look into?

I'd prefer to not set up one of the "proxy" solutions, since it seems to be
adding another possible point of failure to web traffic, and yet another
intermiediary with which to ruin sessions/cookies/headers, etc.

thanks,
John Stotler

Post by Logan Sh » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 07:08:47

>We need to be able to scan all of this media for viruses, but I'm not
>finding any products to do so. It seems that since there isn't a huge
>problem with Unix viruses, most of the major vendors have given up on such
>software as a revenue stream. The issue here is win32 viruses on Solaris
>machines which will be distributed to end-user win32 clients.

By typing "virus scan unix" in at google.com and clicking I'm feeling
lucky, you can find this link:

        http://www.mcafeeb2b.com/products/desktop-protection.asp

It describes one solution that would appear to do what you want.
There are probably others.

  - Logan
--
Diamonds may be "forever", but graphite is more thermodynamically favorable.