/var/sadm/spool

Post by dee » Wed, 10 May 2006 00:34:09

New to sys admin.
Can anyone explain the significance of spool directory.

/var/sadm/spool

Post by stuart_abrams_humphr.. » Wed, 10 May 2006 00:44:38

/var/sadm/spool is the default patch spool directory - essentially the
default location where downloaded patches are placed prior to them
being installed...

/var/sadm/spool

Post by Lion- » Wed, 10 May 2006 20:01:02

Quote:> New to sys admin.
> Can anyone explain the significance of spool directory.

In the usual case "spool" is used to store files which can change very often.
Not quite the same as temporary files which go into /tmp (/var/tmp) since these
files usually contain usefull data (for example /var/spool/lp for printer
files).

The filesystem(5) manualpage also explains as much although I think its a bit
outdated since that still mentiones /var/spool/pkg being used for all this.

--
Groetjes, Peter

.\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

1. /var/spool/mail vs. /usr/spool/mail

I know this might appear to be a real newbee question, but it
is coming from one. ;)

Why do I have a /var/spool/mail and a /usr/spool/mail?

The /var/spool/mail doesn't seem to do anything, does it:

I ran a test.
    I chown'd a partickular user's /var/spool/mail file to
    root and chown'd the same user's /usr/spool/mail file
    to root.

   The result was that the user couldn't check mail--that makes sense!.

   I then chown'd that user's /usr/spool/mail  to make that user the
   owner and that user could then check mail.

   If /var/spool/mail was still owned by root ad the user was able to
   check mail, what is the function of /var/spool/mail?

2. turn off "<" horizontal command line scrolling with ksh/bash?

3. Print spool files filling /var/spool/printer

4. kde beta4

5. mail folder is in /var/mail or /var/spool/mail

6. wanting to change - tips appreciated

7. how to rebuild /var/sadm/patch

8. HELP!! Promise Ultra/66 with RedHat 6.0 setup

9. Is it OK to delete stuff in the /var/sadm/pkg directory?

10. Solaris Live upgrade: questions about /var/sadm/patch

11. Recreate /var/sadm/pkg?

12. /var/sadm/pkg/*/save OK to delete?

13. /var/sadm/pkg direcotry Q