Sun Sparc Ultra 10 and Sony / Sun GDM-20D10

Sun Sparc Ultra 10 and Sony / Sun GDM-20D10

Post by Jami » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 05:49:43

HI,
I just bought a Sun Ultra 10 and a Sony GDM-20D10 from differnt people
off of e-bay.  I just hooked them up.  I don't see anything on the
monitor.  The monitors light comes on, and it clicks like most
monitors and tv's do when you turn them on, however there is no
picture whatsoever on the screen.

Can anyone suggest anything I can try?

Thanks,
Jamie Dolan

Post by David Michael » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 06:16:36

> HI,
> I just bought a Sun Ultra 10 and a Sony GDM-20D10 from differnt people
> off of e-bay.  I just hooked them up.  I don't see anything on the
> monitor.  The monitors light comes on, and it clicks like most
> monitors and tv's do when you turn them on, however there is no
> picture whatsoever on the screen.

> Can anyone suggest anything I can try?

> Thanks,
> Jamie Dolan

Hi,
It sounds like it is haveing trouble syncing

setenv output-device screen:r1024x768x70

This is at the console OK prompt
I get to the console by typing `stop a`

for the onboard ati video I use m64config -res svga
or
on creator 3d cards i use ffbconfig -res svga

Use this is to set it in X-windows

I had trouble with monitors when I first got my ultra 10.

David Michaels

Sun Sparc Ultra 10 and Sony / Sun GDM-20D10

Post by Jamie Dola » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:55:15

HI,
Thanks for the help,

This may sound incrediable stupid, but I am not able to access the unit at
all.  This is the only sun monitor I have right now.  Is there any other way
to access the sun to issue these commands?  I attemped to put it on my
network and let it dhcp a address, but it did not.

Thanks,

Jamie

> Hi,
> It sounds like it is haveing trouble syncing

> setenv output-device screen:r1024x768x70

> This is at the console OK prompt
> I get to the console by typing `stop a`

> for the onboard ati video I use m64config -res svga
> or
> on creator 3d cards i use ffbconfig -res svga

> Use this is to set it in X-windows

> I had trouble with monitors when I first got my ultra 10.

> David Michaels

Sun Sparc Ultra 10 and Sony / Sun GDM-20D10

Post by M$ $uxx » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:51:33

Then you will have to put a cable on the serial port A and take control of
it there.  You will have to build/buy a cable for that.  Set your terminal
emulator to 9600 8-1-N and software flow control, hopefully none of those
settings were messed with.  I had to make one of those the other day because
I left my traveling console cable at home!  After you have output to the
terminal, then send it a break when you see "initializing memory /"  Then
you can give it the setenv commands as David suggested before.

Good luck,

Scott

> HI,
> Thanks for the help,

> This may sound incrediable stupid, but I am not able to access the unit at
> all.  This is the only sun monitor I have right now.  Is there any other
way
> to access the sun to issue these commands?  I attemped to put it on my
> network and let it dhcp a address, but it did not.

> Thanks,

> Jamie

> > Hi,
> > It sounds like it is haveing trouble syncing

> > setenv output-device screen:r1024x768x70

> > This is at the console OK prompt
> > I get to the console by typing `stop a`

> > for the onboard ati video I use m64config -res svga
> > or
> > on creator 3d cards i use ffbconfig -res svga

> > Use this is to set it in X-windows

> > I had trouble with monitors when I first got my ultra 10.

> > David Michaels

Sun Sparc Ultra 10 and Sony / Sun GDM-20D10

Post by Michael Laajane » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:48:51

HI,

> HI,
> Thanks for the help,

> This may sound incrediable stupid, but I am not able to access the unit at
> all.  This is the only sun monitor I have right now.  Is there any other way
> to access the sun to issue these commands?  I attemped to put it on my
> network and let it dhcp a address, but it did not.

Try pressing STOP-N when power is applied, then wait for a second or two
and release.

You could also use the serial port connector on the U10
connected(twisted wire) to the serial port on a second SUN/PC(at 9600/8
bit), then unplugg the keyboard and screen from the U10 and power up,
then you should get the OPENBOOT prompt on the second SUN/PC.

/michael

--
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the
day they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge