Terminal hookup to SS2 under SunOS 5.2

Post by Christopher K. L » Sun, 12 Sep 1993 05:36:12

I have a SS2 with a Wyse terminal hooked up to port b.  I'm able to cat
a file to /dev/ttyb and see it on the terminal but I can't get a login
prompt.  I've looked at the sacadm,pmadm,ttymon man pages and poked around
the /etc/saf/zsmon/_pmtab file but can't decode the *tab file.  ttymon is
running and started by sac.  sacadm -l lists the zsmon pmtag and the status
as ENABLED.  I've looked at the answerbook but still can't get it to
work.  I wish Sun would have kept gettytab and ttytab.
        chris.

Terminal hookup to SS2 under SunOS 5.2

Post by Wietse Vene » Mon, 13 Sep 1993 03:05:56

Quote:>I have a SS2 with a Wyse terminal hooked up to port b.  I'm able to cat
>a file to /dev/ttyb and see it on the terminal but I can't get a login
>prompt.  I've looked at the sacadm,pmadm,ttymon man pages and poked around
>the /etc/saf/zsmon/_pmtab file but can't decode the *tab file.  ttymon is
>running and started by sac.  sacadm -l lists the zsmon pmtag and the status
>as ENABLED.  I've looked at the answerbook but still can't get it to
>work.  I wish Sun would have kept gettytab and ttytab.

I dropped sac and friends entirely - it's overkill for a box that has only
two serial ports. Instead I ported my own agetty program from SunOS 4 to
SunOS 5 and use that. It was recently posted to comp.sources.misc and is
also available from ftp.win.tue.nl as /pub/unix/agetty.shar.Z. The docs
give specific examples for SunOS 5.

        Wietse

1. SunOS 4.1 vs SunOS 5.2

I do not understand why behavior is different between SunOS 4.1 and 5.2.

I have an executable file with the setuid bit on (anyone can execute
it), owned by user A.  The executable file does a system("bbb"), where
bbb is a sh script.  The script accesses a file which is only readable
by user A.

In SunOS 4.1, when someone other than user A runs the executable file, the
file (readable only by user A) is accessed OK.

But in SunOS 5.2, when someone other than user A runs the executable file,
access is prevented.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.  Please email me.

Harold McCabe

2. Vi on a read-only file

3. swapping SunOS 4.1.3 boot disks from a SS10 to a SS2

4. Xsun support for XWeb

5. adding drive to ss2 + sunos 4.1

6. Solaris 2.5.1 O.S. Hardening

7. Terminal Hookup to Linux

8. VIEWTOP Avance ALG 2301 VGA card for Linux

9. Help with VT200 terminal hookup to Linux

10. dumb terminal hookup

11. SunOS 5.2 Print Client and BSD Print Server

12. GNU finger dying regularly on SunOS 5.2

13. Profiling problems under SunOS 5.2