Can a solaris w/s be configured for PPP dial-out AND PPP dial-in?

Post by Steve Bellen » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Can a solaris w/s be configured for PPP dial-out AND PPP dial-in?  It
>appears from the Stokely pages it's either one or the other, but I'd
>thought I'd have it confirmed anyway.  Thanks.

I have two machines set up so that either dials the other as needed
using the bundled "asppp" packages. So both are dial-in and dial-out.

The hard part was figuring that `"" P_ZERO' had to be added to the
begining of the "chat" script  in /etc/uucp/systems.
--

Can a solaris w/s be configured for PPP dial-out AND PPP dial-in?

Post by Steve Bellen » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>I guess my confusion has to do with asppp.cf.  It doesn't look as
>though it can support both sets of settings.  If it can, how was it
>set up?  Thanks.

/etc/asppp.cf is set up for "dial-out" only.
ifconfig ipdptp0 plumb Plocal Premote up

path
        interface ipdptp0
        peer_system_name Premote
        inactivity_timeout 36000
        debug_level 7

/etc/passwd is set up for "dial-in"
Premote:x:101:99:Dial In PPP:/:/usr/sbin/aspppls

Note: 36000 is a very long time, the line up stays almost always.
Note: This is for static ip addresses.
--

Post by Beat Schae » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> >I guess my confusion has to do with asppp.cf.  It doesn't look as
> >though it can support both sets of settings.  If it can, how was it
> >set up?  Thanks.

> /etc/asppp.cf is set up for "dial-out" only.

When the Sun is called from outside (dial-in), aspppd is notified by
aspppls that there is a connection request. aspppd will take the login
name (Premote) to find the appropriate path section in asppp.cf. The
authentication will be performed according to the information found in
this path section. So it's not completely right, that asppp.cf is only
used for dial-out.

> ifconfig ipdptp0 plumb Plocal Premote up

> path
>         interface ipdptp0
>         peer_system_name Premote
>         inactivity_timeout 36000
>         debug_level 7

> /etc/passwd is set up for "dial-in"
> Premote:x:101:99:Dial In PPP:/:/usr/sbin/aspppls

> Note: 36000 is a very long time, the line up stays almost always.
> Note: This is for static ip addresses.
> --

During the past week I have done some experiments which look very
similar to your problem. So, if you could tell me more about your
environment, I can send you some configuration examples.

with kind regards

Beat Schaer

--

Ascom Autelca AG      phone office: ++41 (0)31-999-6357
Beat Schaer           fax   office: ++41 (0)31-999-6582

3073 Guemligen
Switzerland

Post by Alan DuBo » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Celeste normally reads these groups and
>I would be curious, as well, to hear Stokely's comments.

I've seen messages that seem to be written in the 3rd person context,
which led me to believe it might not be Celeste that leaves *ALL* the
messages.;-)

Alan DuBoff - Conductor
Software Orchestration, Inc.

Can a solaris w/s be configured for PPP dial-out AND PPP dial-in?

Post by Celeste Stokel » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I think I missed something in this thread while I was on vacation. :-)

Yes, I read these groups. I respond directly to the submitter or sometimes
to the group. To my knowledge, no one masquerades as me in these postings.

And folks, I don't know everything about PPP - that's why all the info at
http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/ppp.slip.html points to
things others have written. I just gather it up to try to make the world
safer for Unix sysadms. :-)

I wish you all a happy, prosperous, and Unix-filled 1999!

..Celeste Stokely, Information Technology Project Mgmt Consultant
  Stokely Consulting, 211 Thompson Square, Mountain View CA 94043

  http://www.stokely.com - Home of Unix Serial Port & Sysadm Resources

> >Celeste normally reads these groups and
> >I would be curious, as well, to hear Stokely's comments.

> I've seen messages that seem to be written in the 3rd person context,
> which led me to believe it might not be Celeste that leaves *ALL* the
> messages.;-)

> Alan DuBoff - Conductor
> Software Orchestration, Inc.

Can a solaris w/s be configured for PPP dial-out AND PPP dial-in?

Post by Alan DuBo » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 06:31:02 -0800, Celeste Stokely

>Yes, I read these groups. I respond directly to the submitter or sometimes
>to the group. To my knowledge, no one masquerades as me in these postings.

Seems I saw a message or two a couple weeks back that said something to
the effect that "I will have to get with Celeste and get the PPP
updated", then it was signed your name.

Maybe my mistake, but if I find one that I thought was funny, I'll sure
throw it back at 'ya.

Alan DuBoff - Conductor
Software Orchestration, Inc.

Can a solaris w/s be configured for PPP dial-out AND PPP dial-in?

Post by Alan DuBo » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 06:31:02 -0800, Celeste Stokely

>Yes, I read these groups. I respond directly to the submitter or sometimes
>to the group. To my knowledge, no one masquerades as me in these postings.

Celeste,

The following was posted on comp.unix.solaris.

------------------------------------
Could someone please email me asy.conf from Solaris 7 x86, if the file
exists in that release? I *think* you'll find it as
/platform/i86pc/kernel/drv/asy.conf. Please let me know where you
find it on your system, if it's moved.

I'm trying to update Celeste's modem tutorial for Solaris 7, and
need to make sure that file hasn't changed, and that it's still
the place to enable ports other than COM1. If you have a words of
wisdom about serial ports and Solaris 7 for the modem tutorial,
let me know.

..Celeste Stokely, Information Technology Project Mgmt Consultant
  Stokely Consulting, 211 Thompson Square, Mountain View CA 94043

  http://www.stokely.com - Home of Unix Serial Port & Sysadm Resources
------------------------------------

When I read that it sounded like it was in 3rd person.

Did you write the above message? If so, pardon me.

Alan DuBoff - Conductor
Software Orchestration, Inc.

Can a solaris w/s be configured for PPP dial-out AND PPP dial-in?

Post by Celeste Stokel » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Ok, yes. That was me. It's sort of a problem being "Celeste" and having
widely-known doc titled "Celeste's Tutorial"... I feel funny referring
to it as "my tutorial" since it is a joint effort with Peter Stokely as
my editor. Oh well. The important thing is the content. :-)

Watch for a new version containing Solaris 7 info sometime in January.