Complier needs C complier on Solaris??

Post by garobe.. » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I'm new.   Trying to install Midnight commander on solaris 2.6.   So I
need a C complier.   Old Syad told me to get GCC.    Tried that, now GCC
tells me it needs a C complier to compile that.   I thought the whole
purpose of GCC was so you don't have to have a C complier.    Anyway can
someone tell me the actuall name of a free C complier so I can compile
GCC or just skip GCC since I'll have a C complier then to compile
Midnight Commander.
Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>I'm new.   Trying to install Midnight commander on solaris 2.6.   So I
>need a C complier.   Old Syad told me to get GCC.    Tried that, now GCC
>tells me it needs a C complier to compile that.   I thought the whole
>purpose of GCC was so you don't have to have a C complier.    Anyway can
>someone tell me the actuall name of a free C complier so I can compile
>GCC or just skip GCC since I'll have a C complier then to compile

If you got GCC from www.sunfreeware.com, it should already be compiled; you
should be able to install it with pkgadd.  If you got it in source form
from somewhere else instead, what did you expect?  And if there were some
other free C compiler (there isn't, AFAIK), don't you think you would have
the same problem if you downloaded only the source?

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA

Post by Georg Klei » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> I'm new.   Trying to install Midnight commander on solaris 2.6.   So I
> need a C complier.   Old Syad told me to get GCC.    Tried that, now GCC
> tells me it needs a C complier to compile that.   I thought the whole
> purpose of GCC was so you don't have to have a C complier.    Anyway can
> someone tell me the actuall name of a free C complier so I can compile
> GCC or just skip GCC since I'll have a C complier then to compile
> Midnight Commander.
> Thanks

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

hi,

have a look at www.sunfreeware.com. there you can get the gcc binaries.

georg

                 proud to be 100% microsoft free

Post by John Doher » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> I'm new.   Trying to install Midnight commander on solaris 2.6.   So I
> need a C complier.   Old Syad told me to get GCC.    Tried that, now GCC
> tells me it needs a C complier to compile that.   I thought the whole
> purpose of GCC was so you don't have to have a C complier.

No, gcc is a C compiler. You just need to get a pre-compiled version
of it, which you can at <http://www.sunfreeware.com>. Get a pre-compiled
gzip while you're at it.

--

Complier needs C complier on Solaris??

Post by Solari » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 12:45:25

Damn it, get Forte C SUNWspro from http://www.sun.com/download/software
It is Sun offical Compiler package. You need to download a 30 day
license key as well. GCC would not work on some packages like pppd but
SUN WorkShop does.

regards,
Solaris

Post by Paul Egger » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Damn it, get Forte C SUNWspro from http://www.sun.com/download/software
> It is Sun offical Compiler package. You need to download a 30 day
> license key as well. GCC would not work on some packages like pppd but
> SUN WorkShop does.

There are lots of good reasons for getting Forte C, but compiling
random source packages off the net is not one of them.  GCC works
better for that, since it's a more popular compiler and the packages
have probably already been compiled with GCC.

Complier needs C complier on Solaris??

Post by Li L » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi, there.
I had similar problem when I tried to install apache web server for
solaris 8 for intel. I was asked to have cc or gcc in the environment
when I configure it.
I also try to use the wizard to java setup.... but apache was not able
to run. then I followed the step to install from source code download.

I was  asked to have cc or gcc in the environment.
I downloaded gcc from sunfreeware (*.gz) and used pkgadd. The
installation was successful. I still can not  run gcc. My question:
how can i test my gcc installation is successful and how can I put gcc
into environment? By the way, when I type gcc or cc , it says gcc not
found..

>>I'm new.   Trying to install Midnight commander on solaris 2.6.   So I
>>need a C complier.   Old Syad told me to get GCC.    Tried that, now GCC
>>tells me it needs a C complier to compile that.   I thought the whole
>>purpose of GCC was so you don't have to have a C complier.    Anyway can
>>someone tell me the actuall name of a free C complier so I can compile
>>GCC or just skip GCC since I'll have a C complier then to compile

>If you got GCC from www.sunfreeware.com, it should already be compiled; you
>should be able to install it with pkgadd.  If you got it in source form
>from somewhere else instead, what did you expect?  And if there were some
>other free C compiler (there isn't, AFAIK), don't you think you would have
>the same problem if you downloaded only the source?

>--

>Genuity, Burlington, MA
>*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
>Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.

1. Requesting C complier and Perl Complier

Hi,
   I would like to install C and Perl complier on Solaris 7 (x86)
platform. Do any one know that where can I get those compliers ? If
those compliers are come with the installation CD, how do I install them
? Thks .

Best regards,
Peter

2. Debian networking

3. What's the complier that used to complier Linux

4. SPARC: asm: popc instruction

5. Need C++ complier for IBM PowerPC Thinkpad under solaris 2.51

6. sysinstall in TAMU.99p4

7. Need Help with complier information

8. Pass IT exams by TEST104

9. Need a host file complier for named! Anybody?

10. C complier needed

11. problem on complier on solaris X.86

12. C complier required for solaris packages?