EBCDIC to ASCII Conversion

Post by wkee.. » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

1. Are there any utilities/programs/packages/methods to convert EBCDIC
data to ASCII data? We are converting data created on a VM mainframe in
EBCDIC to ASCII for Unix. We used FTP, but the zoned decimal fields did
not convert properly.

2.  Are there any services/packages to convert VM and MVS tapes (EBCDIC)
to ASCII for Unix? This could utilize any media-tapes, cds, etc. Most of
the VM tapes have been created via the VMBACKUP utility.

Thanks for any help!

EBCDIC to ASCII Conversion

Post by Lynda L. Tru » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>  1. Are there any utilities/programs/packages/methods to convert
> EBCDIC data to ASCII data? We are converting data created on a VM
> mainframe in EBCDIC to ASCII for Unix.

Try using dd (man dd for args and such). Look esp at the args for
"conv", where "ascii" converts from ascii to ebcdic.

Quote:

> 2.  Are there any services/packages to convert VM and MVS tapes
> (EBCDIC) to ASCII for Unix? This could utilize any media-tapes, cds,
> etc. Most of the VM tapes have been created via the VMBACKUP utility.

dd actually was meant to work with tapes.

Good luck.

Quote:

--
17C1 6CBC 214C EF1E E28D  42FD 2B1E A12A FEF2 25AB (DiffieHellman)
Good.   Fast.   Cheap.   -------------          Pick two.

EBCDIC to ASCII Conversion

Post by Steve Lunne » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> 1. Are there any utilities/programs/packages/methods to convert EBCDIC
> data to ASCII data? We are converting data created on a VM mainframe
> in EBCDIC to ASCII for Unix. We used FTP, but the zoned decimal fields
> did not convert properly.

There are methods to do this. However I am confused by your use of the
term zoned decimal. I am unsure if by this you are meaning BCD (Binary
Coded Decimal) If you are then I can help you. Rather than post code to
this newsgroup I shall e-mail you some sample code (Written in Solaris
2.5.1 using cc).

Steve

Quote:> <snip>
> Thanks for any help!

EBCDIC to ASCII Conversion

Post by Cameron Simpso » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

| 1. Are there any utilities/programs/packages/methods to convert EBCDIC
| data to ASCII data? We are converting data created on a VM mainframe in
| EBCDIC to ASCII for Unix. We used FTP, but the zoned decimal fields did
| not convert properly.
| 2.  Are there any services/packages to convert VM and MVS tapes (EBCDIC)
| to ASCII for Unix? This could utilize any media-tapes, cds, etc. Most of
| the VM tapes have been created via the VMBACKUP utility.

If you can isolate the EBCDIC data then the "dd" command will do it.
Check out the "conv=" option.

| --------------84FC1CEC50358E17E7BDCE8B

Go to your browser config and TURN OFF the post in both forms mode.
Usenet should be plain text, and plain text ONLY.
--

My life is a never ending battle for the forces of good.
Unfortunately, unlike many other crusaders for righteousness, in my

EBCDIC to ASCII Conversion

Post by Aleksandar Milivojevi » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> 1. Are there any utilities/programs/packages/methods to convert EBCDIC
> data to ASCII data? We are converting data created on a VM mainframe in
> EBCDIC to ASCII for Unix. We used FTP, but the zoned decimal fields did
> not convert properly.

Look at GNU recode program.  It can convert text between varius
encodings (including EBCDIC, ASCII, ISO 8859-* and many others).

As others sugested dd can also convert between EBCDIC and ASCII.

Quote:> 2.  Are there any services/packages to convert VM and MVS tapes (EBCDIC)
> to ASCII for Unix? This could utilize any media-tapes, cds, etc. Most of
> the VM tapes have been created via the VMBACKUP utility.

Depends on the format of files on tape.  Maybe you will be able to do
it with dd, maybe not.

--

                  Opinions expressed herein are my own.
================================ooooO=Ooooo==============================

EBCDIC to ASCII Conversion

Post by Vincent Smeet » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> 1. Are there any utilities/programs/packages/methods to convert EBCDIC
> data to ASCII data? We are converting data created on a VM mainframe
> in EBCDIC to ASCII for Unix. We used FTP, but the zoned decimal fields
> did not convert properly.

> 2.  Are there any services/packages to convert VM and MVS tapes
> (EBCDIC) to ASCII for Unix? This could utilize any media-tapes, cds,
> etc. Most of the VM tapes have been created via the VMBACKUP utility.

Have you already been looking at "dd"?

        dd conv=ascii ......

--  Vincent Smeets                 Competence Center Informatik GmbH
--  Tel. : +49-5931-805461         Postfach 1225
--  Fax  : +49-5931-842461         49702 Meppen, Germany

EBCDIC to ASCII Conversion

Post by Andrew Rowl » Sun, 15 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>1. Are there any utilities/programs/packages/methods to convert EBCDIC
>data to ASCII data? We are converting data created on a VM mainframe in
>EBCDIC to ASCII for Unix. We used FTP, but the zoned decimal fields did
>not convert properly.

>2.  Are there any services/packages to convert VM and MVS tapes (EBCDIC)
>to ASCII for Unix? This could utilize any media-tapes, cds, etc. Most of
>the VM tapes have been created via the VMBACKUP utility.

>Thanks for any help!

I'm not sure whether you really mean zoned decimal or packed decimal.
Either way they are not actually EBCDIC data but binary
representations of data commonly used on EBCDIC systems. Zoned decimal
is however quite close to the EBCDIC representation of the number.
You will have a hard time finding a simple translation program to
translate these, as it is not a simple 1 to 1 character translation as
it is for text. You need to know the layout of the fields in your
data.
I suspect you will need to write a program to do this. It would be
easier to do this on the origin system if possible (in this case the
program should be trivial.)
--
Andrew Rowley

1. dd EBCDIC to ASCII Conversion Problem

OS: AIX4.3.3 ML09

I am trying to read a tape [3490] created on an IBM OS/VS 370 in EBCDIC
using block size 7735 and record length 595.  When I use the following dd
command:

        dd if=/dev/rmt2 of=ascii.data conv=ascii ibs=7735 cbs=595

everything works fine until it encounters nulls (0x00) in the data
stream. When these occur, they are always at position 390 for a lngth of
20.  When the nulls are encountered, dd skips the remainder of the current
record and concatenates the following record, beginning in position 390
for a total of 990 bytes.

If I first read the data from tape to disk without the conversion:

        dd if=/dev/rmt2 of=data.ebcdic ibs=7735

and then convert using a second dd command:

        dd if=data.ebcdic of=data.ascii conv=ascii cbs=595

it works fine, handling the nulls as other data.

Has anyone observed this [peculiar] behavior and do you have a better way
of handling it?

Thank you,
Lucky

Lucky Leavell

2. Odd LILO/ boot problem

3. EBCDIC to ASCII conversion program

4. proxy web servers?

5. EBCDIC & ASCII Conversion Routines Needed

6. IDE RAID Hardware Advice

7. EBCDIC -> ASCII conversion (addenda)

8. Can't paste the webpage text (in Mozilla) to OpenOffice.org

9. EBCDIC to ASCII conversion

10. EBCDIC to ASCII conversion with packed fields

11. EBCDIC -> ASCII conversion

12. EBCDIC to ASCII conversion

13. EBCDIC -> ASCII conversion