How can I move the system hard disk from a Ultra machine to another Ultra machine?

How can I move the system hard disk from a Ultra machine to another Ultra machine?

Post by Ken Chun » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 16:17:19

All,

I'm going to testing in another country on a Ultra machine,
is it possible for me to move the system hard disk from the development site
Ultra machine to the testing site Ultra machine?  What should be done
to restore my system hard disk on the testing site?

My system disk is a IDE hard disk.

Regards,
Ken

How can I move the system hard disk from a Ultra machine to another Ultra machine?

Post by root » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:46:25

I would think you need ot boot -r     to cope with the slight differences in
hardware.

George

How can I move the system hard disk from a Ultra machine to another Ultra machine?

Post by Ken Chun » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:40:44

I've heard from other guy who have transfer the system disk,
he have tried boot -r, but it still not work. Is there any thing need to
care.

Quote:> I would think you need ot boot -r     to cope with the slight differences
in

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 23:42:24

> I've heard from other guy who have transfer the system disk,
> he have tried boot -r, but it still not work. Is there any thing need to

You can't transfer boot disks from machines of one type to machines of another
type. For example, you can't take a boot disk from an Ultra 5 and put it into
a Sun Blade 100. When Solaris is installed, only the support for the current
system is loaded onto the hard drive. There is no easy way to "convert" the
disks.

I have not had any problems using a disk from an Ultra 10 in an Ultra 5. As
long as the two systems are of the same type, you should be okay.

How can I move the system hard disk from a Ultra machine to another Ultra machine?

Post by Joe Durusa » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 03:36:44

        It would help if you specified exactly what doesn't work.  Assuming
that you installed the system disk in another location form the
original, the
system should still boot and the new drive should be visible in the /dev
directory.
If you are trying to boot from the new drive, it will need to be in the
physical
location of the former boot disk.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

Post by George William Herbe » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 04:55:27

>> I've heard from other guy who have transfer the system disk,
>> he have tried boot -r, but it still not work. Is there any thing need to

>You can't transfer boot disks from machines of one type to machines of another
>type. For example, you can't take a boot disk from an Ultra 5 and put it into
>a Sun Blade 100. When Solaris is installed, only the support for the current
>system is loaded onto the hard drive. There is no easy way to "convert" the
>disks.

>I have not had any problems using a disk from an Ultra 10 in an Ultra 5. As
>long as the two systems are of the same type, you should be okay.

The key here really is (or was) "what's the physical address for the
boot device?".  If the same Sbus or PCI bus physical address in the
system memory space is used for the boot device's interface, a boot -r
will often work.

When I was at Axil, we experimented with this some.  Annoyingly, we didn't
put the MachIO at the same physical address as the Sparc 5, nor did we
put it in the same location on our two different MicroSPARC-II chip systems,
so we couldn't move boot drives back and forth.  However, our two Sparc 20
type clones had it in the same place as our Sparc 10 clone (the 420, 320,
and 311 respectively) if I remember correctly, and you could move the
disks around somewhat within that set.

In general, though, don't bother trying.

-george william herbert

1. Ultra 5 IDE hard disks - can I use any PC hard disk?

I need to buy a bigger hard disk for my Ultra 5.  It has a 9.1GB disk at
present and I want to ADD aonther disk.  I've seen some disks out of a newer
U5 and they're 20GB Seagate Barracuda ATAII's.  I believe this is a regular
disk used in many x86 PC's.  Can I buy any popular x86 hard disk and use
that?  Is there a size limit?  I'm looking at buying a 40GB disk for my
Ultra 5.  Are there PROM limitations like the PC has (i.e. 8GB disk size
limit).

--
NOSPAM: remove _ to email me.

2. Trouble Compiling tcl-dp !!

3. cases of Ultra 30, Ultra 60 and Ultra 450 and PC components

4. Help: RCP issue between solaris and redhat linux

5. 13.6G 7200RPM Ultra ATA hard drive with Ultra ATA 66 Controller

6. "finger" help!

7. ufsdump from disk to disk (machine - machine)

8. Killed System by mounting on /usr

9. Swapping an 18GB disk from an Ultra 1 to an Ultra 60

10. Ultra 60 to Ultra 2 disk clone

11. Restoring Ultra 2 mirrored boot disk to Ultra 5

12. Moving hard drive from one Ultra 1 to another

13. moving password files from one rh6.2 machine to another rh6.2 machine