replacing new disk and config it

Post by joee » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:02:40

Hi

Looking for help here.

I have a defect disk. System HP unix. How do I find that I have a defect
disk? What to look?

How do I config. the new disk? For the system to eat it.

/Joe

Post by Logan Sh » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 00:00:35

>I have a defect disk. System HP unix. How do I find that I have a defect
>disk? What to look?

HP Unix?  If you're using a Unix from HP, you'll have better luck asking
in another newsgroup.  This newsgroup is about Solaris, which isn't
from HP.

  - Logan
--
Diamonds may be "forever", but graphite is more thermodynamically favorable.

Post by Tony Walto » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:21:17

> Hi

> Looking for help here.

Why?  You posted this to comp.unix.SOLARIS, yet...

Quote:

> I have a defect disk. System HP unix.

HP Unix is not Solaris.  Try asking in an HP-specific group such as
comp.sys.hp.hpux or comp.sys.hp.hardware

Quote:> How do I find that I have a defect disk?

Slightly confused here - you say above that "I have a defect disk", yet
now you want to know how to find whether you have a defective disk or
not...

Quote:> What to look?

> How do I config. the new disk? For the system to eat it.

With HP sauce, of course :-)

Seriously, if this is an HP system you'll not get very far asking in a
group intended for Sun products.

Regards

--
Tony

replacing new disk and config it

Post by joee » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 20:11:51

Hi People,,

Sorry....

Big MISTAKE

Quote:> Hi

> Looking for help here.

> I have a defect disk. System HP unix. How do I find that I have a defect
> disk? What to look?

> How do I config. the new disk? For the system to eat it.

> /Joe

1. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

Simple.

1) create a lilo boot disk with lilo, and the kernel on it (email me if you
   need to know how to do this too)

2) install the new drive in the system, create a filesystem on it, and
   mount it on, say, /mnt

3) copy the filesystem over, making sure to preserve permissions, and
   exclude /mnt and /proc.  Some ways to do this are

cp -a -x / /mnt
        note that the -x means only stay on one filesystem, so if you
        normally have more than one filesystem mounted, you'll need to copy
        those over, too.

( cd / ; tar --atime-preserve -l -p --same-owmer -v -cf - / ) | ( cd /mnt ;
tar --atime-preserve -p --same-owner -xf - )
        but all as one line...

4) after veryfying everything looks good, you can remove the old system,
   reboot off of the boot disk, and re-install lilo on the new disk.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

2. Shared memory problem/question (SUN).

3. how to chose new disks to replace old ones

4. Problems executing certain binaries

5. Solstice Disk Suite - Replacing a failed disk - Posting only; No response required

6. /usr/include/sys/types.h: linux/types.h not found

7. Can I Use a big disk to replace a failed disk in VM

8. egcs as the standard linux compiler

9. How to replace a disk in Sun A5000 Disk Array

10. Media error on disk. Should replace the disk ?

11. How to replace a disk in Sun A5000 Disk Array

12. IDE DISK CONFIG. PROBLEM - NEW LINUX INSTALLATION

13. How to replace a disk in Sun A5000 Disk Array