Installation question: other questions

Post by Galeri » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 06:56:22

Hi all,
What sort of filesystem is used by Solaris 8? Can Linux read it? and can
Solaris read a FAT32 partition?
I've also downloaded the Software Companion cd for Solaris 8 2/02, but I
have version 8 10/01. Can I use it?
Why most of you say that the "Installation cd" is not useful?

Thanks for your help.
Galerio

Post by Darren Dunha » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 08:06:02

> Hi all,
> What sort of filesystem is used by Solaris 8?

UFS.

 Can Linux read it?

I've heard it's possible, but I haven't investigated.  This would only
be true for the same processor type (intel v. intel for instance).

 and can

Quote:> Solaris read a FAT32 partition?

Yes...

man mount_pcfs
[...]
     The  special device file type must have a  formatted  MS-DOS
     file  system  with  either  a 12-bit, 16-bit, or 32-bit File
     Allocation Table.

Quote:> I've also downloaded the Software Companion cd for Solaris 8 2/02, but I
> have version 8 10/01. Can I use it?

probably.  It's mainly freeware that you can get through other means,
but is packaged on the CD for easy installation.

Quote:> Why most of you say that the "Installation cd" is not useful?

It doesn't contain any of the OS, it's just an alternate installation
method.  There are have been several bugs with it, so many admins don't
use it at all (I don't).  Instead the "1 of 2" disk will install with
the traditional suninstall program.

          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

1. ASCII question... and others!

I'm sorry to bother you all with this, but I have a few short
questions.

        Firstly, is there a way to type obscure ASCII characters in Linux? I
tried the meathod of doing this in Windows, that is, Alt + (some
numerical string) to type a character, but it did not work in Linux! I
realize that Alt is instead META in Linux, but I do not know if that has
anything to do with it or not.

        Second, is there a way to universally make it so that the backspace key
is available in all programs, as a _backspace_ key? In X-terms it works
as a normal backspace, but in Netscape and everything else it either
works as a delete key or doesn't work at all!! Very irritating...

        Finally, is there a way to be able to have text copied to a clipboard,
so that text copied from Netscape would be able to be pasted to an Emacs
window or something? This would be really helpful to be able to do.
--
"May you live in interesting times."
-Traditional Chinese Curse...

Dirac

2. Unable to install Redhat from Atapi CD-Rom

3. Kernel build question and some others

4. pop3 problems, trumpet, eudora, solaris 2.4

5. Questions: CRC Error, Segmentation Fault, some others...

6. APL Compiler/Interpreter needed

7. Questions about Lilo and others

8. Determining routing metrics

9. Thanks Rex and others, question for RedHat

10. Questions: NFS,MAN,Automount and others

11. Questions: NFS,Automount and others

12. !! Gnome Questions and others !!

13. Many, many questions (video and PPP and others)