Dead SPARCstation...need help!

Post by Andy Longto » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I've read the FAQ, done my homework, and am out of ideas at
this point.  Please help if you can...

I have a few SPARCstations that have dead NVRAM batteries, and
I'm looking for replacement NVRAMs.  So far, the supplier I've
found will get them in in mid-January, but has similar chips
in stock.  The problem is, I don't know if the available NVRAM
will work in SPARCstation 1, 1+, and 2.

Q. Can a M48T12 NVRAM be used in place of a M48T02 on a
   SPARCstation 1/1+/2?

Looking at the spec sheet for these parts, here are the only
differences I can find;

   M48T02: Vpfd = 4.5V to 4.75V
   M48T12: Vpfd = 4.2V to 4.75V

Since the range for the M48T12 is larger, and covers the
entire range for the M48T02, it should work...yet, looking at
the SGS Thompson's online data the Vpfd seems to have
something to do with programming the chip, and could make the
M48T12 unusable.  (?!?!?!)

Any help with this would be appreciated!

Post by Charles Buech » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I've read the FAQ, done my homework, and am out of ideas at
> this point.  Please help if you can...

check the NVRAM FAQ. I did hook a new battery like described under "3"
and it works perfectly.

        http://www.aball.de/~wpv/sun/faq/eeprom.html

Charles
---

Post by Yong S. Y » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > I've read the FAQ, done my homework, and am out of ideas at
> > this point.  Please help if you can...

> Hi,

> check the NVRAM FAQ. I did hook a new battery like described under "3"
> and it works perfectly.

>         http://www.aball.de/~wpv/sun/faq/eeprom.html

> Charles

Just a FYI: Mouser (www.mouser.com) sells M48T02's you're looking for.
Not a terrible price, but you can sometimes find SPARCstation 2's or
IPX's with working NVRAM chips for around $15, which is (IIRC) what the
price for the M48T02 was from Mouser.

-y.

--
Yong S. Yi          KeyID 1024/0AF3C425        http://async.org/~ysyi/
PGP Key Fingerprint = 3A 65 AE 82 07 2A EF 73  0B 84 67 5D 1D 96 9F 8D

Post by Yong S. Y » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> : Not a terrible price, but you can sometimes find SPARCstation 2's or
> : IPX's with working NVRAM chips for around $15, which is (IIRC) what the
> : price for the M48T02 was from Mouser.

> ???  Are you saying that there are places that are selling
> SPARCstation 2's or IPX's for $15?  ???

Yup. For example, complete IPX's with fully working NVRAM chips and in
otherwise good / perfect condition are $25 from
http://www.compsyscon.com/. But if you look hard enough, you'll find
them for maybe even less than $15.

-y.