Configuring Semaphore values

Post by Graham Pot » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
Can somebody tell me how I increase semaphore values from the defauls
under SOlaris 2.4. I need to increase parameters like SEMMNS from
their current values and can't see at all how to do it!

Many thanks,
Graham Potts

Post by Dave Cowl » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,
>Can somebody tell me how I increase semaphore values from the defauls
>under SOlaris 2.4. I need to increase parameters like SEMMNS from
>their current values and can't see at all how to do it!

Stick the values you want in your /etc/system file like so:

*
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=70
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=500
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=75
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=300
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
*

Season to taste and reboot.

                        - Dave C

------------
David Cowley, Unix System Administrator    Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Post by Paul V. Aluk » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,
>Can somebody tell me how I increase semaphore values from the defauls
>under SOlaris 2.4. I need to increase parameters like SEMMNS from
>their current values and can't see at all how to do it!
>Many thanks,
>Graham Potts

Edit your /etc/system and add appropriate numbers for the values you
want to add and reboot the system.

Here is a sample.

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=8388608
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=70

Hope it helps.

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor       Information Technology Division

Configuring Semaphore values

Post by Sia chong h » Tue, 15 Oct 1996 04:00:00

U can set the value in /etc/system file !!

>Hi,
>Can somebody tell me how I increase semaphore values from the defauls
>under SOlaris 2.4. I need to increase parameters like SEMMNS from
>their current values and can't see at all how to do it!
>Many thanks,
>Graham Potts

1. posix named semaphore value not reflected across process

Platform: Solaris 2.8
I do the following:
1)created posix named semaphore using sem_open(...) , and a value = 3
2)did a sem_wait().
3)check the semaphore value, which is 2.
4)Just stop executing, by waiting for user input. (The semaphore
has not been closed of uninked)
This is all fine.

Then I start another instant of the same prog.
This does the sem_open (to the exisitng semaphore).
The sempahore value now is 3 again. It should have been 2. (because
sem_wait(..) from the first instant has already decrements the value
to 2)

Looks like the semaphore is not working across process !!!

Any sugesstions , please.
Thanks
Abhijit

2. Multiple Graphics Cards & Monitors

3. Semaphore int value assignment

4. BroadVision!

5. semget(2) - value of newly created semaphores?

6. Overland TX8 driver wanted

7. Mismatch in Semaphore values in /etc/system and sysdef

8. A stupid DIP question

9. Calulating values for Semaphores

10. Default values of not semget() semaphores

11. Multi-value semaphore: a producer-consumer problem

12. semaphores (changing value)

13. How to configure the 'semaphore' and 'shared memory'?