Sparc2 network connectivity??

Post by Stephen Sheldo » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I bought a SparcStation2 that comes with a network interface that only
has an AUI connector. I heard that there is an optional connector that
will convert this to be a 10base-T connector and you do not need a
transceiver. Does anyone know where I can get this part?

Also, does anyone know where I can get documentation on a Sparc2
motherboard? Sun stopped providing support at the SparcClassic.

Thanks,
Stephen Sheldon

Sparc2 network connectivity??

Post by Bill Pa » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Daring to challenge the will of the almighty Leviam00se, Stephen Sheldon

: I bought a SparcStation2 that comes with a network interface that only
: has an AUI connector. I heard that there is an optional connector that
: will convert this to be a 10base-T connector and you do not need a
: transceiver. Does anyone know where I can get this part?

This information is incorrect. There's no 'optional connector' you can
get for a SPARC 2 that will let you use twisted pair media: you have to
get a transceiver and plug it in to the AUI port. Fortunately, transceivers
are cheap (maybe $20US depending where you look, possibly cheaper). If
you want to spend more money, you can buy an additional ethernet card
that supports twisted pair media. I've seen sbus expansion cards that
include both an extra SCSI controller and ethernet interface: the connector
for the ethernet is an RJ45 jack since there's not enough room on the
back of the card for both a SCSI connector and an AUI port. I've also
seen ethernet-only expansion cards with both AUI and BNC ports; it's
possible there's also a model with 10baseT support.

The SPARC 5 and the SPARC 10 include built-in 10baseT ports, and there's
an optional cable you can get which provides an AUI connection in case you
need to attach some other sort of transceiver (like for coax). The Ultras
that include the hme 10/100 built-in ethernet also have a twisted pair port,
and you can purchase an MII adapter which also gives you an AUI port,
again in case you need to use some other kind of transceiver. I believe
some of the older Ultras include the older le (LANCE ethernet) hardware;
I'm not sure what media these support, though I'm pretty sure I've seen
at least one with AUI.

: Also, does anyone know where I can get documentation on a Sparc2
: motherboard? Sun stopped providing support at the SparcClassic.

Sorry, don't know the answer to this one.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager, Master of Unix-Fu

"Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!" "I guess their parachutes didn't open."

1. Unable to boot Sparc2.6 after installed Sparc2.7

Greeting, I have Sun Ultra 10 Sparc system. After install sparc 2.7
evalution copy on a new HD, my system is now having problem to boot
from the original HD with 2.6 Sparc Solaris. The error message is as
follow:

Can't read disk label
Can't open disk label package

cprbooter cpr boot
Can't read disk Label.
Can't open disk label package

Now I can only boot the HD with Solaris 2.7 OS, the HD with Solaris 2.6
is no longer bootable. Above message is the problem i am having.

My goal is to have two OSs, Sparc2.6 and Sparc2.7, running on my Ultra
Sparc 10 and swapping the HDs when I need to running from one of these
OSs.

I wonder if anyone has smiliar problem and how I could resolve this
problem.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.. Thx

Vincent Shyu

2. Parallel Port Tabe Backups

3. dual network cards for Sparc2/Solaris2.6

4. Recent List of AIX 3.2 PTFs available - 93/03/29

5. HELP - Can't get network to come up on SPARC2

6. Ehternet Quit on me

7. CHALLENGE: partial internet connectivity under linux where as win98 gives full connectivity on same machine

8. Development opportunity

9. DOS/Linux Connectivity Task Involving PCMCIA Network Card

10. Network connectivity

11. Basic Advice Needed to Restore network connectivity

12. SS5 and Solaris 7 != Network connectivity