sbus quad fast ethernet, force 100FDX how??

sbus quad fast ethernet, force 100FDX how??

Post by indy.. » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

hi,

i have an ultra enterprise 2 with 2 qfe cards installed.  i can plumb
interfaces qe0 through qe7 just fine.

auto-negotiation with our switch does not work.  how do i force all qe
interfaces to 100 full duplex?  i cant find the appropriate ndd entries
like /dev/hme0 etc.

also, i noticed that they all have the same ether address as the
primary interface, does that need to be changed as well?

thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

sbus quad fast ethernet, force 100FDX how??

Post by Henry, Bo » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Well i don't know about forcing a port to 100FDX, but
regarding the MACs, SUN does allow for having unique MACs.

You haved to set the NVRAM configuration variable
"local-mac-address?" to true.

Having identical MACs will only cuase problems if you have
multiple interfaces on the same subnet(example trunking) or
on the same hub/switch(multiple sbnet supported on same
switch).  If your interfaces go to different subnets via
different hubs/switches then there is no need to enable
unique MACs.

Bob Henry
System Administrator
Medline Industries

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

Post by Gertjan van Oost » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> i have an ultra enterprise 2 with 2 qfe cards installed.  i can plumb
> interfaces qe0 through qe7 just fine.

If the interfaces are really called 'qe0' through 'qe7', then you don't
have two QFE's but two QE's, and those aren't F, they only go up to
10 Mbit/s.

Quote:> auto-negotiation with our switch does not work.  how do i force all qe
> interfaces to 100 full duplex?  i cant find the appropriate ndd entries
> like /dev/hme0 etc.

If you really have QFE's, it's in the manual that came with the cards.

Quote:> also, i noticed that they all have the same ether address as the
> primary interface, does that need to be changed as well?

There's no reason for it to be changed (read back in this newsgroup's
archives for many discussion about this very topic).

--

Post by Paul Roger » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> hi,

> i have an ultra enterprise 2 with 2 qfe cards installed.  i can plumb
> interfaces qe0 through qe7 just fine.

> auto-negotiation with our switch does not work.  how do i force all qe
> interfaces to 100 full duplex?  i cant find the appropriate ndd entries
> like /dev/hme0 etc.

Still wondering about the distinction between qe0 and qfe0 but I have
the same problem on qfe's so try this loop.  I put it in S70ndd in
/etc/rc2.d (just after S69inet don't you know :)

#!/usr/bin/ksh

let "if=0"

while [ $if -lt 8 ]
do
ndd -set /dev/qfe instance $if
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_autoneg_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_100fdx_cap 1
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_100hdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_10fdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_10hdx_cap 0

let "if = if + 1"
done

The first ndd line sets the instance from 0 to 7.
The second ndd line turns off autonegotiation.
The third line forces 100 Mbit full duplex.
The next three lines are simply paranoia to force the other
possibilities off.
Someone better in the Bourne shell can show arithmetic and
a loop in that shell.  I realize you should use that shell for startup
scripts, but what the heck, /usr should already be mounted by
this point :)  For a single interface you can set the
values in /etc/system with a set command.  For 2 or 3 qfes or
hmes you don't have to loop, just hardcode the right instance
values.

Quote:

> also, i noticed that they all have the same ether address as the
> primary interface, does that need to be changed as well?

Oh, I would think so.  Do you have unique /etc/hostname.qfe0
to /etc/hostname.qfe7 entries?

Quote:

> thanks

Hope it actually helps.

Paul Rogers
Sun Professional Services

Quote:

1. Quad Ethernet SBus and Quad FastEthernet SBus adapters in Ultra2

The installation guide for the Sun Quad FastEthernet SBus Adapter states
that you can have only one of them, maximum, in an Ultra 2.  I have an
Ultra 2 that already has an older Quad Ethernet adapter (not
FastEthernet).  Will the Quad FastEthernet work OK with the Quad
Ethernet adapter already in the Ultra 2?  Thanks.

-Gil

2. Pb WINBOND WS9C940 PCI ETHERNET ???

3. FS: Sun SBUS QUAD ETHERNET CARD

4. Mail Server Trouble

5. quad ethernet sbus card

6. Parition Magic, etc?

7. SBus Quad Ethernet Card -- Can I change the Device Names?

8. Packet-snooping in IP - possible security hole or too difficult?

9. Quad Fast Ethernet Adapter