more secure alternatives to .rhosts and .netrc

more secure alternatives to .rhosts and .netrc

Post by MikeH » Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:21:48

HI:
I investigating more secure alternatives to .rhosts and .netrc for ftp
or shell communication between Sun boxes and Wintel boxes. I'm thinking
of certificates. I would like to get opinions and experiences from
persons who have done or attempting to do the migration from .rhosts /
.netrc to more secure methods. Thank you.

1. .netrc not working (.netrc file not correct mode)

I cannot figure out why it is 'not correct mode:

testweb - /export/wlserver> ftp bighost.com
Connected to bighost.com.
220 sunprod1 FTP server (SunOS 5.8) ready.
Error - .netrc file not correct mode.
Remove password or correct mode.
221 Goodbye.
ftp> bye

testweb - /export/wlserver> cat .netrc

machine bighost.com
login bighost
password bighostpass

macdef update_production
        cd deploy
        bin
        put test.lst
        quit

testweb - /export/wlserver> ls -al .netrc
-rwxrwxrwx   1 wlserver wladmin      128 Jul 16 17:50 .netrc

--
- The_Duck

2. newbie question regarding PPP and passwords

3. To .rhosts or not to .rhosts - which is safer

4. Newbie X/C program question

5. rsh as root - no password - /.rhosts or /root/.rhosts doesn't work?

6. maestro 32/96 - working anywhow,anywhere?

7. Which more secure alternatives to standard NFS are available?

8. rh 6.0 and netcfg

9. secure alternative to nfs ?

10. Secure Netscape Alternatives

11. secure alternative to POP3?

12. secure nfs alternatives

13. Secure POP: Alternative to SSH tunnel?